John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a GE oven/microwave combo that came new with the

Customer Question

I have a GE oven/microwave combo that came new with the house 10 years ago. Last week the oven stopped heating. (Microwave is fine.) Same thing happened to my neighbor recently. He fixed his by replacing the thermal fuse, so I tried the same, but no go. (In fact, now there's a fan running that won't shut off unless I cut power, which is irritating.) Any ideas on next steps to fixing the oven?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

You replaced the wrong fuse. You installed a thermal fuse in place of the fan thermostat (fan turns on when thermostat closes), that is why it runs all the time. So, you still likely have an open thermal fuse.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe it is JKP86
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Actually(###) ###-####JKP86
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

There are two thermostats on the top, see the link below. Which one did you replace?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I replaced the one on the right front as you face the unit.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Does the other one have continuity or does it show open?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I actually only saw the one. I'll have to slide the unit back out to see if I can find the other thermostat. That likely won't happen until Sunday afternoon.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

If you can supply the complete model number, I can get you more specific instruction, too. Just post back when you are able, thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've got the oven pulled out again. Cannot find a model number on it anywhere. This model number -- JKP86 -- is printed on the schematic diagram.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Found this on the back of the microwave: 164D5311G020
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

There should be a tag around the oven opening, there are a great deal more numbers I need to get you more accurate information.