Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Adora electric range and after self cleaning

Customer Question
everything shut down. the...
I have a GE Adora electric range and after self cleaning everything shut down. the control board will not light up.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 3 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: we were able to get the door to unlock but the controls and clock will not stay lit when I hold the 9 and 0 for three seconds the clock comes on but will not stay on
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
11/4/2016
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your range. Please give me the model number found by the left leg by pulling out the drawer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
j b710s t1ss

Thank you. Let me look that up.

I found your model. I am looking at it now.

Ok.

Still examining the diagram.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks

You either have a bad terminal block, cord (or both), or a bad wall socket, a bad breaker, or a bad control board.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can we do a live call with you

It is most likely the terminal block or cord.

Yes, but it has to go through Just Answer. Let me see if I can initiate that.

There seems to be a problem with the system. Sorry.

I would first pull the range out, make sure the plug is properly seated, then examine the terminal block behind the plate on the back.

If you see nothing unusual, then try cycling the breaker.

You need to then check for 220V at the terminal block. If you have it, then the back needs to come off of the range and the wiring examined to make sure none have burned off.

If you find no other issues, then the control board is at fault.

Is there anything else I can help with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
last evening when we put it in self cleaning mode after 2 hours into the cycle I heard a loud bang and the control panel turned completely off and I could not open the range door. Today I was able to unlock the door with the control panel by pressing the 9 and 0 for three seconds and the panel lit up and I was able to set the time but it gave me a code 054 6CFC. What does this code mean.

Let me check. That is a long code - longer than I am used to seeing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I took the back panel off and everything has current going through it on the control panel

That is not coming up as a valid code. I think the loud bang was your terminal block possibly melting and one of the hot wires touching the metal cabinet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is the terminal block - nothing seems burnt

If you are getting 220 to the control panel then it is probably bad. As for the loud bang, I would examine all of the wiring for shorts to ground. Also look at the back of the cabinet for burn marks.

The terminal block is where the cord connect to the range.

Does this help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
everything looks great that's what I can't figure out other than I am locked out
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I turn on one of the burners the panel lights up but the burner doesn't go on and the manual does state about being locked out and having to reset the panel but I don't know how because it doesn't tell me how to do it

If you are getting 220 to the board, and the board is not working, then it likely had an internal short. You can replace it with a RepairClinic board and have a 365 day return policy. Here is the link: https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/WB27T11351/2700888

If you turn one of the burners on and the panel lights up, then you have a power problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is no way of resetting this panel board

You have a bad neutral or hot line somewhere. I have seen that before.

I'm not aware of any other way than power cycling it. I don't think it is locked. Especially if it lights up when you turn a burner on. It should be independent of the burners.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
does replacing the control board resolve the problem

You need to trace the 220 all the way from the terminal block to the board and verify that you have 220v before replacing the board.

I hope this helps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked it and it has current going from the 220 line to the control board.

Let me open this up to other experts to help out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
found the problem...it was one side of the 220 line that blew
John, Home Appliance Technician