John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Refrigerator, Model MSD265HEB, this is

Customer Question

I have a Refrigerator, Model MSD265HEB, this is approximately 11-12 years old. It starting making a whining noise about a month ago (approximately every 5 mins). We thought it was the icemaker, which we don't use much. This morning we found water on the floor, and the items in the freezer were no longer frozen. I found that it was only set on "4"
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Gave that on first line. I reset to "6" and it hasn't started refreezing.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Refrigerator, Model MSD265HEB, this is approximately 11-12 years old. Don't know yet on repair. Depends on what the problem may be. Selling house and weren't planning to take.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of at this time.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not in a position right now to remove the panel...have to later. Is there anything in particular I am looking for after I do that besides the frost and fan?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not now...will have to get back later...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 8 months ago.

not at this time. We need to know what it looks like before we can determine what's next.