Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

We have a KitchenAid refrigerator, model: KFIS29BBMS03,

Customer Question

Hi; We have a KitchenAid refrigerator, model: KFIS29BBMS03, (bottom freezer) that is only a couple years old. The frost free freezer is icing up with frost. It seems to be getting worse. Can you tell why it would do this and what I might be able to do to stop it from accumulating frost?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I know we've had it for approximately 1 year. My wife works for a home builder and this is one of the refrigerators that they put in their model homes. So my guess would be that refrigerator couldn't be much over 3 years old. The model number is ***** How do I find out what "exact model" it would be?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Well, only if it was something simple that I could check and correct. I am not an appliance technician by any means.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The only thing that noticed was the compressor (???) vibration noise gets louder at times than it does at other times, but it's not too loud.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 9 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

That is likely a defrost issue you need to remove the rear panel in the freezer section. If the evaporator is built up with excessive frost you need to defrost the frost build up with a hairdryer or steamer. Then you need to check the heater for continuity and the defrost thermostat for continuity as well, that is clipped to the evaporator. It has to be cold to test it and it should read continuity with an ohm meter as well when cold. If all that tests good you likely have a bad defrost control.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, A 5 STAR RATING ALLOWS UNLIMITED FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS AND A DIRECT LINK BACK TO ME.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!