Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a double door Whirlpool fridge/freezer. I have two

Customer Question
drawers on the bottom of...
I have a double door Whirlpool fridge/freezer. I have two drawers on the bottom of the fridge. problem is with the lower drawer.
there is a dial on the inner fridge wall to the left saying "veg or meat". My veggies in the drawer are freezing, no matter where I set the dial.
I am new to the house and don't have a manual.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
10/30/2016
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your refrigerator. Please give me the model number found in the refrigerator section near the top shelf.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ED5FHAXS001

Ok, let me check that.

Do you hear the fan running in the freezer section when the refrigerator is running?

Ok, you may have a stuck damper. It is the air inlet on the top left side of the refrigerator section.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see the unit and cold air is coming from it. What defines stuck?

Well if the door that opens and shuts to regulate the cold air is clogged with ice and can't shut, then it will let too much cold air in.

It should shut when the refrigerator side reaches the set temperature. If not, it is likely stuck.

I want you to now check if the back wall (iinside) of the freezer, behind the food has a thick layer of frost on it (greater than 1/4 inch)

Also, have you noticed if the refrigerator runs all of the time and almost never shuts off?

I will have to walk away from the computer for a while, so I will open this forum up to additional experts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the slatted opening that lets the cold air in, does not seem to move by hand. We are checking to see if there is frost. I have not noted how often it runs.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we don't see much frost inside the freezer. Maybe 1/16 inch mid way down.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband says it does shut off.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We pulled the bottom shelf. The water unit coil is not frozen.
John, Home Appliance Technician