John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My GE freezer temperature goes up to 25F and does cool down

Customer Question

My GE freezer temperature goes up to 25F and does cool down any further.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model is PSC23SGPASS few years old 3/4? I unplugged it for an hour, plugged it back on and the temperature was right but then in the morning it went up to 25F again
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I am just troubleshooting right now Just trying to understand what the problem is the appliance seems new and in good shape
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I know of that's all the info I have
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
cannot hear the fan
No frost
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Is the compressor running?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I know? This is a freezer/refrigerator combo. The fridge is fine temperature wise.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

You should be able to hear it humming, especially if the fan is not running.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can hear the fan now. I opened the door and it started making noise
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Okay, are you able to remove the rear panel from inside the freezer to get a look at the cooling coil?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not without tools
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Correct, you will need to remove some screws. We need to get a look behind that panel to see if the frost pattern on the coil is even or in one small area.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no rear panel as far as I can see. There is a light and an ice maker and that's it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Number 213 in the diagram below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can see it now. I don't have the tool to unscrew though. Which one do you recommend?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

I believe it is a 1/4" hex head.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you think that behind the panel there might be some frost? The last time I unplugged it for one hour and when turned back on the temperature was right. However, the morning after the temperature was too high again.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Well, I don't think it is frosted up, I think it may have a restriction or it could be related to the control if it reset when unplugged. It is hard to say without seeing what the coil looks like when it is running.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is it safe to look at the coil with the appliance running?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Oh yeah, the fan is mounted above the coil, as long as you don't stick your finger above the coil and into the fan, you should be in good shape! :-)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What would you expect the coil to look like if there was a problem?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

If it was a refrigeration issue, the coil will likely have one small area that has frost and the rest will be aluminum colored only. The entire coil should be very lightly frosted while running.