Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool WFW97HEXW0. Last week we had error codes

Customer Question
F6E2 and then F6E1. Removed...
I have a Whirlpool WFW97HEXW0. Last week we had error codes F6E2 and then F6E1. Removed the MCU after checking for 120VAC input to MCU and 5VDC for the serial data connection, and found what I assume to have been a resistor overheated and blew. Definitely a problem warranting replacement. Had some concern based on the error codes that the CCU could have been hit following that wounding it. There were a couple errors that indicated a CCU heartbeat failure which made me suspicious. After installing the replacement MCU, all worked fine. Until this morning. MCU looked fine, and still get 120VAC and 5VDC at the MCU connectors, but the error showing now (and consistently when I run the diagnostic test) is: F6E2: UIO Heartbeat failure checked on CCU. So my question is where to look now. UI which appears to be working since I can reasonably interact with it, or the CCU which (I assume) controls what the washer does after given an instruction via the UI. Thanks for any input/direction. Mark
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
10/29/2016
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago
Joel Swenson

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and prepare your answer as I may need to look up part numbers, schematics, etc;

Thank you for your patience.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

That error is a communication error from the user interface to the ccu. The only way to figure out what is causing the error is to use the tech sheet I have provided below for you and do the following tests:

Verify continuity in cable between CCU (UI7) and UI (C2).

See wiring diagram on page 24.

• Check AC and DC supplies. See TEST #1 (CCU Power Check) on page 12.

• See TEST #2 (User Interface) on page 13.

click here to open/download tech sheet

********************************************************************************

You are billed by the site regardless if you rate the answer or not the only thing you are doing by not rating is keeping me from being compensated for the time I have taken to help you.

You rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top right of the question page. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right on the star rating system and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know. If you do not rate the answer can you please at least let me know why you did not so that I can possibly do what is needed to deserve the rating. Thank you in advance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. I'll perform these tests and report back.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

sounds good let me know what you find, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had been through most of these steps previously but not systematically, but did so this time. All connectors are fully inserted, continuity confirmed between pins at C2 and UI7 and at correct pin locations. +5VDC between CCU 2 and 7, +12VDC between CCU 2 and 3. Test #2 does not appear to apply, but went through confirming what's there and all is as expected. I say it does not appear to apply because none of the reasons for test #2 exist. All indicators and LCD turn on, all buttons light the indicators (from black to green), and beep sound does work. When I ran the diagnostic test again, the same error occurs: F6E2: UIO heartbeat failure checked on CCU. I see no other test which would further help in determining where the fault lies. Given that the UI appears to work properly - at least from being responsive to user inputs...can't tell if it is passing the command data to the CCU - there is some heartbeat test that is not passing or being acknowledged. Any time there is a heartbeat failure I've seen on other types of system controllers, that indicates a processor/board component failure. So the question I ultimately have: Is this message pointing at the UI or CCU? With the MCU having a rather nasty failure on the board, and there being two connections directly to the CCU, I'm leaning that direction. Not that other transient stuff could get from the CCU to the UI of course. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I originally mentioned, I replaced the MCU previously.
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok since all the input voltages are good at the CCU the user interface will need to be replaced, the user interface is not sending the input to the CCU.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and unrated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just received and a stalled the new UI controller. Same exact error I reported above. This would imply I either received a bad UI controller or the UI controller was not the problem. The heartbeat failure message is unclear to be sure, but is it pointing at the UI or CCU?
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

I will have to opt out and let another expert help you with this issue, thanks.

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Do you still need help?

Replace the CCU on the unit if the unit will not rotate at all. That is the easiest test.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, A 5 STAR RATING ALLOWS UNLIMITED FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS AND A DIRECT LINK BACK TO ME.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just replaced the CCU. Error F6E1. So now I've replaced: MCU - which was clearly bad, the UI which may not have been bad, and now the CCU which also did not result in a fix. When I replaced the MCU, the machine worked for 7 cycles then had the same error occur which is the point when I arrived on this web site for assistance. $600.00 in parts later and still have an error related to cycle/motor control. What now?
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

MOst of the time on these machines with that error, the issue is not usually part failure related but a problem with the connectors. If you look at the connectors, you will see that they have small wires shaped in a V that make a very limited contact with the board edges. With the machine unplugged, use a needle to insert in the V and bend the connector down a bit to allow a tight fit again on the new boards. I suspect this will eliminate the issue you are having. Try that, before replacing any more parts, and let me know what happens, please!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fair enough. Is it reasonable to assume the MI3-MCU communications connector on both ends is where the issue likely would be in this case? I did check continuity and all is good there. Thx!

It could be any of the connectors between the boards. It will show continuity but if those points of the V are not tight against the contacts of the board, it will have issues. I would do every single connector and see what happens. Keep me posted, I am curious to see what the end result is, you have had a real nightmare with this (and expensive with all the parts)!

Kelly, Appliance Technician