Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I have an electric hot point dryer that will not start.

Customer Question

JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hotpoint is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model number is *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The fuse in the back panel towards the bottom of dryer gets power, the door switch gets power. When I went to hit the "start button" though, I felt not resistance behind it as I felt that I should have...
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is this a GE product?
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

The start switches on those units are notorious for going out, you can check the switch for continuity when pressed if it checks good then check the belt and belt switch if the belt is broke the belt switch will kill power to the motor. If the belt looks good then check the belt switch for continuity, if the belt switch is ok then check the thermostats and thermal on the housing mounted directly behind the dryer tub for continuity, if all that checks out then the motor is out. If you need part numbers just let me know which ones you need you when figure out what is at fault. Also please double check the model number listed if you need part numbers the model is missing some. It should be something more like HTDX100GM0WW, thanks. In the meantime I ask that you please read below.

r

********************************************************************************

The only way I am compensated for the time I spend on the site helping is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top right of the question page. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right on the star rating system and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know. If you do not rate the answer can you please at least let me know why you did not so that I can possibly do what is needed to deserve the rating. Thank you in advance.

and yes the hotpoint appliances are part of the GE made line.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and unrated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?