Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

ASKO D3250- Dishwasher fills and drains but will not move

Customer Question
past this beginning cycle. If I...
ASKO D3250- Dishwasher fills and drains but will not move past this beginning cycle.
If I start it over on a new program, the first thing it does is drain, then fill, then stops (makes 4 clicks) and then flashes (delicate cycle). The circulation pump (part 303 on the diagram) does not hum or run.
This relates almost identically to a dialogue/problem about 3 years ago with “expert-Jon”.
Continuing the discussion: “after the dishwasher fills, it doesn't drain immediately, it just sits there full of water and the code starts flashing. You have to shut the power button off, turn it back on and restart a cycle, then it drains and then refills, then sits there full of water with the code flashing (and stops with the delicate light flashing and clicking 4 times).
The conclusion of this discussion was that the circulation pump (part(###) ###-#### but now changed) was the problem. I looked at the electrical page wiring page for this (page 14 of 15 of the spare parts catalog), and the test to determine a “normal component” is 22 OHM +/- 10%. My motor reads 21.8 OHM… so it appears normal…. Or am I missing something?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your dishwasher? And have you run a diagnostic test cycle?
Customer: ASKO D3250. I have the instructions for the Service Menu (page 15 of 15) and the component test, but was not certain when they said "Index through" the components. Not sure how to index through these.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
10/25/2016
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. It sounds as if the problem may be with your control board itself. Give me a few minutes to pull up some information and I will be right with you.

You are right that this error is typically caused by the circulation motor. Is there anyway you can try testing it again just to see if you come up with the same number. Just so we can rule out it is not the problem. If it in fact still reads the same then that leaves your control board being the problem and not telling the circulation pump to activate.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked several times last night... always read around the 22OHM resistance test level- very consistently at 22.8OHM. Is there a way to test it in the cycle? I could run it through and see if it is sending power to the unit. I will try that and see if I get 120v, and if it is not getting power- this would then indicate the control panel... right? If yes, where do you recommend purchasing this unit?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
at this point, i need to get home and try it out.

That is perfectly fine I am here if you need me. In the event you find this information helpful all I ask is you rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

I wanted to follow up with you to see how it is going since I never heard back from you.

I noticed this question was still open so I wanted to follow up with you to see how it was going and to see if you needed anything further?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did not respond because I ordered a new control panel and installed it. There is no change of the symptoms- dishwasher drains then fills, then stops (makes 4 clicks) and then flashes (delicate cycle). The circulation pump I have tested and runs fine on its own. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

when the dishwasher fills then stops and immediately drains is a fault with the float/ flood switch. The flood switch is under the dishwasher in the drain pan. And if the flood switch senses that there is any water in the drain pan the flood switch will activate the drain pump and the dishwasher will drain the water out of the tub of the dishwasher.

The easiest way to confirm the flood switch has been activated is to either remove the dishwasher and tilt it forward at about 45 degree angle and see if any water comes out of the bottom drain pan. Under the dishwasher. If there is water that comes then keep it tilted until the water stops. Then remove the back lower panel to the dishwasher and access the drain pan area. Take a look and see if there is any other water there? There will most likely be more water. Dry it up with some towels and make sure the flood switch is clicking when you lift it up and down. The flood switch with be the white foam disc in the front of the machine just in front of the main wash motor.

After the water is all dried up put everything back together and test it out again and see if it runs the full cycle. If it does then you know for sure that you had water in the drain pan. Then just keep a close eye on the dishwasher as you run the next few cycles. If the error comes back do the same thing and check the drain pan. If you have water again then you will most likely have a leak somewhere letting the water into the drain pan area.

If after drying everything for the first time and running it again and the error comes back the first time then we also know the flood switch was not the problem and will have to do some more diagnostic checking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think it is the flood switch. I turn off the unit (after the 4 clicks) and power back on and it pumps/ drains the unit completely and starts over- fills and then stops after the fill..... waiting for the circulation motor to turn on- which it never does.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
For Asko... what does the flashing delicate cycle mean- from the code manual?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does not immediately drain. The water stays in the pan waiting for the circulation motor to activate. There must be some other piece of logic required before it tells the circulation motor to start

Ok since the water is not immediately draining it is not the flood switch then. Sorry for the confusion. The code you are receiving directly from the manual is the circulation pump is the issue and if not then the control board. Since the control board is new I understand the pump is testing ok but the only thing that makes sense is it is seizing up during the cycle and will be the problem and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't get power to the motor. I have tested this several times. What could the 4 clicks be? My other Asko does not click at all and this has 4 clicks consistently after filling.

I thought you originally said you were getting power to the motor? The clicks is part of the code for the circulation pump. 4 clicks and the delicate light lit. The clicks is the board calling the motor to function or the motor calling the board. Since the board is not the issue that leaves the pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have:
-Checked the resistance-Ohms. It is 22 as specified.
-pulled the connection off the circulation motor and don't get any reading of power to the motor
- and have powered the motor independently. It powers and rotates freely

Well then I am out of options. I firmly believe the problem is with the circulation pump because that is what your unit is telling you but I will open this up to other experts to see if anyone else has any ideas. Someone should be along shortly.

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician