Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Ge microwave, fan comes on when door is opened, turntable

Customer Question

ge microwave, fan comes on when door is opened, turntable and magnetron do not operate, but counts down on display. replaced all three door switches (one was bad)
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: hvm1750sp2ss, four years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: hopefully
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: rechecked all the switches with an ohmmeter and they seem to be working correctly (2 closed, 1 open), originally when it started acting up, if you hit the door it would work for a while, say 3 or 4 days, but eventually failed altogether
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So unfortunately this means that one of your door switches has failed. There are 3 door switches and usually the bottom one is the one that fails, but you'd need to remove the outer shell of the microwave and test the switches to know for certain which switch is bad. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to test the actual door switches inside your microwave to know which one to replace. Now the video shows a Whirlpool microwave being tested but the process is the same for your unit as well.

CLICK HERE for video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I stated in my original conversation that I had already replaced all three switches

I'd still test them to make sure one didn't come back. If you wired them properly then the only culprit is a bad display control board not reading the door switches correctly so you'd need to replace the display board.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
once again, in my original conversation, I said I had retested them all

OK well once again that means you need to replace the display board because that's the only option.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?