John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Help. We have a whirlpool gas oven. The temperature knob

Customer Question

Help. We have a whirlpool gas oven. The temperature knob faded, and we couldn't find one that was accurate. I had to use a pliers to turn it on. It went up too high,and I can't turn it off. The metal won't go back to off.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It must be almost 20 years, and I don't know the model. It just has continuous clean.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I just want it turned off.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The oven is up to 600 degrees.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Turn the gas off to get the heat down right away. Then, unplug the range.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Once it has been unplugged, let's see if we can find the model number and look for a new thermostat and knob.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I couldn't turn the gas off. That was the problem. We have tried to get the proper knob. A friend used a pliers and turned it off
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Do you have the model number? The thermostat should not be difficult to turn, so it may need to be lubricated or replaced.