Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an amana AFD2535DES, that we noticed that a the FF

Customer Question
compartment was getting warm....
I have an amana AFD2535DES, that we noticed that a the FF compartment was getting warm. We have cleaned the coils on the back, with no success. We have also done all the service technician tests and the all passed or gave the appropriate code. I took out the ice maker and the thermistator and removed the back panel. The condensing coils were frozen. And the back of the FC had ice. So we did a forced defrost. We once again did all the service technician tests and we once again got all of the appropriate responses with the defroster test changing to Open instead of short after the forced defrost. How can we judge how much air flow should be coming out of the diffuser? It is showing that the air coming out of the diffuser is around 14*F but how can we test the volume?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/24/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tyler, what are your thoughts on this?

I apologize, my response must have been lost.

So let's start by explaining the possibilities for your symptoms. This means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

To remove the back panel itself, just remove all the screws going into the back panel to start. There is a plastic vent directly in the middle toward the top of the back panel that you must unclip. There are 3 hidden clips you must pry on with a flat head screwdriver to release this vent panel and below is a picture where I drew an arrow to all the clip locations you need to pry on.

To the right of this vent is a little oval plastic cover which houses a temperature sensor. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the slit on the front of the cover and pry in the hole to release this cover and get the sensor out of the way. Now you can pull the back panel off.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are we talking about the back panel in the in the fridge or the freezer?

Inside the freezer. The air comes from the freezer and goes up to the refrigerator which is how the refrigerator cools.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have done all of these things I have tested all the parts via the onboard controls and confirmed that all the parts are working. What should I expect the temp to be in the fridge on a setting of 7 which is the coldest.

around 34 degrees or so. If everything works and the frost is all thawed out, that means your display board is bad because it's not thawing it out on it's own.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I did a force de frost and I tested the defrost it went from Short (when frozen) to Open when thawed. Is the only reason that it is working now is that I forced the defrost? Would you expect it to freeze up again? How long would that take? And where is the cheapest place to get that board?

Correct, because you forced defrost. It will cool for 1-3 weeks and eventually frost up again. The part number is *****

CLICK HERE

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc