Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

I have an electrolux french door style fridge and the ice

Customer Question

Good Morning i have an electrolux french door style fridge and the ice maker makes ice however it does not dump the ice i have replaced the ice maker twice it seems that it works for a month or so then stops dumping, if i unplug the ice maker it seems to work again for a short time. when i go through the diagnostics i can get the ice maker to dump the ice so i am unsure as to what to try next?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Electrolux is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: The fridge is approximately 4 years old and the model number is EW23BC71ISC
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I dont think so
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

The icemaker will not automatically cycle until the internal thermostat of the icemaker reaches a temperature of 15 degrees .

And of course the water will freeze at a temperature of 32 degrees.

Can you tell me what the internal freezer temperature is ?

Do you have the freezer full of food ,3/4, 1/2 full or a 1/4 full of food at this time?

And when was the last time that the condenser coils under the unit was cleaned ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe i have the temp in freezer set for 6 degrees in freezer when i go into the diagnostics for the ice maker it ranges from 16-18 degrees, the freezer is full of food at this time and i have not cleaned the coils in at least 2 years any information you can provide would be helpful thank you so much. I am at work at the present time but can check other things when i get home.

ok if the icemaker diagnostics is showing a temperature of 16-18 degrees it is not getting cold enough for the icemaker to start to cycle to drop the cubes.

So if you have the freezer full of food ,just do not have too much in it so as the food is blocking air flow.

And make sure the condenser coil is clear .

The condenser coil is what removes the heat from the refrigerant ,the more heat it removes the colder the unit will be.

and you may even want to pull the unit out and remove the rear lower cover to clean under there and also make sure that the condenser fan is also running , and you can even unplug the unit from the outlet and clean the fan blades if needed also .

Do all that or check all that and let it set over night and lets see if any of that makes a difference.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Good morning i moved the fridge away from the wall last night and took of the cardboard panel in the back to clean the condenser coil and the fan. There was not very much dust on either but i vacuumed and wiped down the fan. It was turning not overly fast but i am assuming it was working. Is there anything else i can try please let me know. I checked the temperature this morning through the ice maker diagnostics and it was displaying 18 degrees. ty again...

what do you mean by not turning overly fast , could you see the fan blades move when it was turning or are the blades moving fast enough that you can not see the actual blades?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i will verify tonight but i thought i could see the blades when it was turning..i will check that as soon as i get home..

ok if you can see the blades as they turn then the fan is not turning fast enough if the fan is not turning fast enough it will cause the unit not to cool properly.

Let me know on the fan I show a new fan is around $75.00 for the part.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ty very much i will definitely let you know i really appreciate the assistance.

No problem at all!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i checked fan last night and it seems to turning quite fast i cannot see the blades sorry for the confusion is there anything else i could try to lower that temperature? please let me know....ty very much

I do not think lowering the temperature will do anything since you already have it set at 6 degrees for the freezer

And the actual temp when in diagnostics says it is 16-18 degrees .

the items you have in the freezer you aid it was full could that food be restricting the air flow within the freezer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
we will empty our freezer tonight and i will let you know how that goes thank you again..i really appreciate it..ty

no do not empty it out just look to see if the food items are blocking any of the air vents in the freezer section.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i have tried moving a a bunch of food out and nothing seems to be impeding the air flow. my freezer is cold and seems ok when i manually trough the diagnostics dump the ice it works however the temp on the diagnostics for the ice maker shows 18 and the diagnostics number 62 has a 2 beside it not sure what that is? if there is anything left i can try or order please let me know sorry to be a pain...have a great day
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 8 months ago.

ok and you see no frost or ice on the freezer interior rear wall!

the condenser fan is running the condenser coil is now clean .

The seems ok but it is only 18 degrees which means it will freeze food ( below 32 degrees ) but not cold enough for the icemaker to cycle and dump the ice in the icemaker mold.

And you have replaced the ice maker itself twice.

Ok So can you tell me is the icemaker fan running when you pull out the ice maker storage container?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ty again for the quick response i will let you know as soon as i get home from work.

no problem!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
fan is running in the icemaker and it feels cold when I pull the bin and put my face in front of it I feel it is cold but I don't know I guess the temp as u suggested is not cold enough or perhaps a faulty sensor? Thank you

can you get an inexpensive thermometer and test the actual temperature in the icemaker compartment?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
will do for sure tonight..Ty

no problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put in a digital thermometer with a remote probe last night I checked numerous times throughout the evening and the temperature fluctuated between 7 and 12 F I checked the temp through diagnostics and it was 18 F so now I have no idea it seems like the temperature on the fridge display is not accurate? please let me know if you have any ideas..ty

ok great and with the temps tested and showing 7 -12 is the icemaker still not working correctly?

sorry for the delay had to spend most of my day at the DMV getting my license renewed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
not a problem at all must have been frustrating... and yes icemaker makes ice however does not dump it the diagnostic temp showed 18 f but the actually temp on my remote probe showed between 7 - 12 f so I am not sure if there may be a bad sensor causing the system to think its only 18 when in fact it is 7- 12 thank you again,,
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i am not sure if there are any other suggestions you may have please let me know and have a great day
ty

the icemaker has it`s own thermostat to tell the control board what the icemaker mold temp is . and you have replaced the icemaker so that only leaves the control board .

has it been replaced?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no the control board has not been replaced only the ice maker would you know the part number of the control board by chance?

here is a link to the part .

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/242115233/2210788?rcaid=1000070

if you have any questions just reply back to me.