Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Whirpool Duet gas Dryer. Will not heat. But in test

Customer Question
mode, (more time less time...
I have a Whirpool Duet gas Dryer. Will not heat. But in test mode, (more time less time more time less time) it works (but only for 8 min with beeping
JA: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: about 6-8 ears old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I was but I had already replace solinoids (workrd for a bit) then main control board (worked for a bit) I just don't get why it would work in test mode and not in normal operation
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Wondering if I got a bad board maybe?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/23/2016
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago
Joel Swenson

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.
Please provide me with the model number of the unit you are needing help with so that I can give you model specific information, as soon as I get that information I will get your answer prepared as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
GGW9250PL1
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
WHIRLPOOL DUET GAS
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

thank you for that information give me just a few minutes to pull up that model

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

please follow the directions below and activate the service diagnostic mode, once the mode is entered the computer will flash either 88 or a error code in the time remaining display, tell me if anything other than 88 is displayed, thanks.

ACTIVATING THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE

1. Be sure the dryer is in Standby Mode (plugged in and all indicators off).

2. Press the following button sequence: More Time ➔ Less Time ➔ More Time ➔ Less Time - all within 5 seconds.

3. All indicators on the console are illuminated with “88” showing in the “Estimated Time Remaining” (two-digit) display, if this test mode has been entered successfully.

Let me know what is shown in the display once you enter diagnostic mode, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I said, it works in this mode. Display says 88
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

Does it run and in heat in the timed dry setting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Motor runs in timed or automatic, but without heat. In test mode if i hit start - burner fires up but for only 8 min at a time. and beeps continually
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

ok in that case you need to replace the control board

Dryer Electronic Control Board

Part #: WP8546219 - click here

*******************************************************************************

Please Note: I have taken the time to help you please take the time to help me. You are billed by the site regardless whether or not you rate the answer so not rating the answer does not keep you from being billed.

********************************************************************************

The only way I am compensated for the time I spend on the site helping is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top right of the question page or by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star or 5th face to the right so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, as I said, I had replaced the board a few months ago. Is it unusual for it to fail so soon?
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

Depending on where you ordered the board from it could be under warranty still, a few places like repair clinic give you a full year on any part for any reason, some don't. I would check the all the wiring in the heating circuit as referred to on the tech sheet, which I assume you have , if not let me know and I will give you a copy. If all the wiring is good then the board is the issue if its heating in test mode but not in timed or auto. If you have had some power surges or some type of power outages then its not unusual for them to zap the board and cause issues.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and unrated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Joel. What else could this be if it works in test mode? I just spent $200 on a boardand no change. The 3 month old board looks fine (no burn or heat marks, and nothing was loose
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is so frustrating. Is there a way to test the board? I can't imagine test mode would bypass temp safeties but I tried jumping them anyway - no effect
If it worksin test mode, I would think that tells me everything else is ok...Solonoids, ignitor coil, flame sensor, hi-temp, ect
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 1 year ago

do all the tests under dryer does not heat on page 7 the tech data sheet provided below

click here to open/download tech data sheet

Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson