John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Our Whirlpool (1999, 22 ci, EB22DK), frig stopped cooling

Customer Question

Our Whirlpool (1999, 22 ci, EB22DK), frig stopped cooling the refrigerator part; the freezer works fine. Any suggestions? The back of the freezer has no frost. The vent to the frig part has no air flow.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 1999, EB220DK
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, if I can. I'm fairly handy if I know what to do.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It looks like there is no access on the frig part, but there are screws holding two panels at the back of the freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fan is running most of the time.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

So, the fan is running, no frost is built up on the coil and the air flow path between the freezer and refrigerator is clear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell if the vent at the left rear of the refrigerator section is clear or not. The grate is built into the plastic molding. There are no screws to remove the grate. With the motor running, I cannot feel any air flow when I put my hand on the grate.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Well if the fan is running and the coil is clear of frost, it has to be plugged with ice/frost. Can you take a hair dryer and blow into the vent (be careful not to damage any plastic) and see if the air flow restores?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a try. (I noticed that you charged my credit card for $5 and another charge for $23. I signed up only for the $5 charge. Is there something I need to do to reject the $23 charge?)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to get to another responsibility, so I'll look for your response on e-mail.Gary