bonzaco
bonzaco,
Experience:  Owner at Dales Electronic
26760916

Ok I found the thermostat for the freezer. How do I test it?

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

Could you kindly let me have the model number of you refrigerator please - and what caused you to be looking at the thermostat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Amana Model #ASD2620HRW
I speaking to another tech last night and we started by making sure that the fans were working, settings were turned to cold and he also had me check the compressor by feeling it to see if it was warm and felt like it was running. We have been trying to problem solve this for two days now. The fridge gets cold enough but the freezer does not even at the highest setting which it has been at for several hours now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The freezer does get cold, just not cold enough to keep frozen food frozen.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK two questions, are the fans in the freezer section working and was the compressor warm, cold or hot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fans are working the and the compressor is warm.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK is the condenser fan running when the compressor is running and is the condenser clear of dust?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the condenser fan seems to be running when I checked it for temperature there was air circulating. It is a little dusty. I could run the air hose through an around the compressor.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK if you look at the compressor you will see one large pipe coming out of it, one small pipe coming out of it and one pipe that has been capped or crimped off - can you see them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK with the motor running, put your hand on the small pipe and then the big (non crimped pipe) the small one should be hot the large one cold - is that the case?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The crimped pipe is semi warm, not hot and the other it pretty cool but not what I would say was cold.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

Cant see on the diagram is the thermostat in the fridge compartment, secondly does the appliance switch on/off from time to time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok just FYI I have three pipes coming out of the compressor. Two that are crimped and one that is not cool by the other is cold. No one that is not crimped is hot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has turned off a couple of times but it is running a lot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, yes the little thermostat is located In the fridge, two wires and it just pops of the cooling coils. Just a little thing
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK do you have any food in the fridge at the moment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the fridge side I do. Everything I put in the freezer thawed out
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

does it switch off and on (earlier question) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just FYI when I pulled the back panels to get to the compressor I can feel a lot of cooler air blowing around down there
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

Switching on and off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has shut off a couple of times but not for long. I work grave so sleep during the day. But it has been running non stop since 8p last night.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As a test after I turned the temp gauge as cold as it will go for the freezer I put a small glass of water in the freezer and it got damn cold but did not freeze
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does water running through the system make any difference. The elbow valve connection for the water line was cracked and I have ordered that part. But the water for ice and water is off.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK this is my thinking - and I can show you how to prove it one way or the other.

a. Unit is short of refrigerant (as a result the temperature does not get low enought for the thermostat to operate)

b. Thermostat is faulty (unit gets cold but the thermostat is out of calibration and switches the compressor off too early ie not cold enough.)

This is the way that you find out which it is, note where the two wires fit on the thermostat. Then power off - connect the two thermostat wires together. Power back on - you have now bypassed the thermostat. ie you have no temperature control. Run the appliance and see if the freezer temperature gets down to approx correct temperature. If it does then the thermostat is faulty and needs replacement, if it doesnt then it is short of refrigerant or the compressor is faulty. The water running will not cause the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
remove thermostat and then hook those two wires together and that will bypass that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the little thermostat has been removed but the fridge is still running. Is it supposed to keep running or is the thermostat what tells it to turn off.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

Yes just hook the two together and tape them up out of the way (make sure you dont connect the ground wire if one is fitted) then monitor the temperature in the freezer. Little thermostat ?? Send me a picture. The thermostat is item number 10 on the attached diagram -- http://www.partselect.com/Models/ASD2620HRW/Sections/CONTROLS-SERIES-50/?ModelID=33557&ModelNum=ASD2620HRW&mfgModelNum=&ManufactureID=1&Selected=56595&Position=3&mfg=Maytag&Type=Refrigerator&Mark=3 --

Whilst you are doing the above would you kindly rate the information given sofar by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page. Come back to me if you require further help as once rated all further help is free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.partselect.com/PS11743599-Whirlpool-WP67004757-Defrost-Thermostat.htm?SourceCode=4&SearchTerm=ASD2620HRW . Hopefully this is the part I supposed to remove.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh no worries I will put you down for 5 stars, you have been very helpful.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

No that is the defrost termination thermostat - this is used to control the period of defrosting and has nothing to do with the operating temperature of the appliance. Item 10 on my diagram to you is the operating thermost.

Heading out for 30 mins to pick up my daughter but will be back shortly and pick up where we left off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have located the thermostat and removed it. Is there a way to test it? Ok I have disconnected the two wires and the ground wire and it shut off. But if I twist them together it starts back up. Does this make this the likely issue or should I look at something else
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK now you have connected the compressor up directly to the main electric supply - I need you to check in an hour or so and tell me if the freezer temperature has gone down and frozen the water you had in the glass or not ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you, I'll let you know how it goes.
Expert:  bonzaco replied 1 year ago.

OK could you rate the info sofar please