Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Freezer will not get below 23 degrees, checked the seal

Customer Question

Freezer will not get below 23 degrees, checked the seal around the door and used a thin film of petroleum jelly and still not getting down, thermostat on door keeps sounding alarm.
Freezer is a Kenmore Elite Upright model # 253.026082101
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer, down on the lower panel??

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Yes to fan, frost or both?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
to fan
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Okay, no frost or ice on rear panel, shown as number 25 below?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I hear a fan running, but see no frost on back panel, pulled back panel off and had ice on top of the evaporator coil, unplug unit, defrosted and started back up, took several hours to cool down from 73 deg. to 25 deg.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

When you took that back off, was the frost all over that coil or just on the top few rows?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just on the top few rows
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Oh, that is not good. That means the refrigerant level is low. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The cooling system has a leak that has allowed the refrigerant to escape. That is why it is not cooling well. This repair is one that will require professional, on-site service. It takes very specialized tools and training to complete this type of repair. To have it professionally repaired, you can expect it to cost about $350 + parts. If less than 5 years old, it may be covered under a limited warranty that may provide parts and possibly repair costs.

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome. Have a great rest of your night in spite of this not so great news!

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.