Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Freezer is cold refrigerator is not, there is no water in

Customer Question

hello, freezer is cold refrigerator is not, there is no water in the bottom tray, could it be the defrost heater assembly? thx
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: whirpool gold gr9fhmxvs0 about 10 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
  1. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?
  2. Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
nope it was running earlier but I double checked right now and is not moving... most likely the fan motor huh?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Yes, if there is no fan running, that is indeed the issue! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you....
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The fan is number 10 at the link below.

CLICK HERE

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

The back panel (inside the freezer) comes off to access that fan motor. It should run anytime the compressor is on.

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** any time the fan should be off? also is it normal to not have any water whatsoever in the tray at the bottom of the refrigerator, the same thing happened a couple of weeks ago and I unplugged it for one day allowing it to totally defrost, then it worked fine (apart from the fan motor) is it possible that the defrost heater assembly is bad? (based on the dry tray) I am by no means a tech by I moved refrigators a few times and they all seem to have had at least a little water on that tray...
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

It is possible that it is not defrosting but normally that water will not be visible. The heat and fan down by the compressor evaporates it. The fan cycles with the compressor, so it should not be running when the compressor is off.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
fan is working again...:( I guess I will have to wait a few hours to see if it cools the refrigerator part. thx for your time
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

If you pull that rear panel, you will be able to tell real quick if it is a defrost issue or not. There should not be any frost blocking the air flow.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can see frosting by the fan without taking the cover out, is that an indication that the defrost is bad?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Okay, good, that means you have a defrost issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is the defrost heater hard to change?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

That model uses an electronic defrost control. That is most likely faulty, not the heater.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no I sure don't
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
could you send me a diagram of where is the electronic defrost control located?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Okay, well there are three components in the defrost circuit; the heater, control and thermostat.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The control is mounted in the box where the temperature is adjusted, shown as number 4 below.

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The heater is number 4 below, the thermostat is not pictured but is mounted at the top right corner of number 5 below.

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The thermostat and electronic control are most likely to be faulty. The heater rarely fails and usually breaks or burns when it does, so it can be visually inspected.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for all the information.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome!

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page!

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.