Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Does the control board have anything to do with temperture

Customer Question

Does the control board have anything to do with temperture in the freezer and refrigerator
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: GE S?S purchased about 6 years ago
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: have had appliance repair in because the freezer and refrigerator stio working, changed the control board, worked for 2 weeks, stopped working came back removed the panel in the freezer, the coils were full of ice, replaced the heater, worked for 2 weeks, stopped again came back and said the compressor was bad, next day everything was working, freezer temp o degrees ,refrig 37 degrees.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Could not get the compressor toi come on when they were here, hence , bad compressor?? What controls the defrost and tempertures
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Was the coil frozen up again when they said the compressor was bad, after replacing the heater and the board?

Expert:  Engineer-Tech replied 9 months ago.

Hello, how can I help you?

Hello, How can I help you?

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The issue is likely to be related to the defrost sensor, not the control board, heater, compressor, etc. That sensor is mounted on the evaporator coil and is very easy to replace. Would you like information to replace that sensor?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Right now now I need to tell the tachnician what the problem is, I have spent $560 and have not accplished anything, what would have prevented the compressor from coming on? Why would the systems work for 2 weeks after each service call?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The frost takes that long to develop to block the air flow. The compressor will not start under several circumstances, like when the unit is first powered up. The boards are usually in a defrost mode, so it takes about 20 minutes for the compressor to start. Same if the sensors are not sending the correct information to the board. Obviously, the tech who has been repairing the refrigerator is not familiar with it and likely has no testing skills because the parts he is replacing are easily tested.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where do I go to get a service company that knows what they are doing????
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

What is your zip code?

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.