John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I HAVE A KITCHENAID SUPERBA AND THE FREEZER TEMPERATURE IS

Customer Question

I HAVE A KITCHENAID SUPERBA AND THE FREEZER TEMPERATURE IS CONSTANLY FLUCTUATING, SOMETIMES AS HIGH AS 23 DEGREES. THEN IT JUST GOES UP AND DOWN. I HAVE TRIED LEAVING THE DOOR CLOSED FOR UP TO 12 HOURS BUT WHEN I CHECK THE TEMP IT CAN BE 0 OR 23 OR ANYTHING IN BETWEEN. IT JUST HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN, WHAT CAN THIS BE. MY REPAIRMAN SAID THAT THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN, AS IF IM LYING. ANY IDEAS?????
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2005 MODEL KSCS251
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: NO, ALSO THE DOORS WHERE THE HANDLES ARE LOCATED ARE EXTREMELY HOT
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: NO
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 10 months ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

open the fresh food door and on the right interior wall should be the model /serial number tag.

And the partial number of KSCS251 brings up 104 possible models .

I would like to get a bit closer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
KSCS25INSSOO
SER-SS4722144
NOW THAT I'VE INVESTED FOR A PROFESSIUONAL DIAGNOSIS, I WILL GIVE YOU FULL DISCLOSURE. I AM A RENTER PAYING $3.750.00/MO. AND CONTACTED MY LANDLORD AUGUST 28 TO LET THEM KNOW MY ICE MAKER HAD STOPPED WORKING AND THE NEXT DAY THE FREEZER AND REFRIGERATOR COMPLETELY STOPPED WORKING. THE REPAIRMAN CAME OUT 5 DAYS LATER, SAID IT WAS FIXED. THE ICE MAKER NEVER STARTED WORKING AFTER REPAIR, AND I HAVE BEEN HAVING THIS FLUCTUATING TEMP ISSUE FOR4-5 WEEKS NOW. MY LANDLORD SAID HER REPAIRMAN TOLD HER THIS WAS IMPOSSIBLE FOR A TEMP TO INCREASE/DECREASE 0-23 DEGREES. (hahaha) IS MY FREEZER HAUNTED????? DO I NEED A NEW ICE MAKER?????HELP!!!!!!!

Thank you!

First off temperature can fluctuate that mush if you do have a issue.

How much food do you have in the freezer at this time?

if you have very little food when the unit goes into a defrost mode there is nothing to keep the interior freezer cold and it can fluctuate just like that.

When the temperature rises if you open the freezer door can you tell if the freezer Evaporator fan is running or not?

And if the freezer temperature is above 15 degrees the icemaker will not cycle to dump the ice cubes from the icemaker.

So I do not think the icemaker need to be replaced ,I think the icemaker issue is the temperature issue also.