Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Bought a house with a Whirlpool Duet Washer Dryer stackable,

Customer Question

bought a house with a Whirlpool Duet Washer Dryer stackable, Dryer model WED 8500 is throwing an F 1 when try to start the dryer. Gets as far as "sensing," then the code appears.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Probably dates to 2006 or 7, let me see if anything on the machine and will go copy down the exact model now
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: depends on what is needed. model number is ***** 8500 SRO. Serial number MU1213200. House built 2006 so most likely 2006 or early 2007 in service date. Only a few years of steady use though, not in use last several years although the washer works perfectly
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No Sir that is all the facts I have
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Unfortunately F1 is a very straight forward error for these Duet dryers and it means that your main relay power control board has an internal short. This dryer has several control boards so the on you need to replace is mounted to the left side wall above the dryer drum. You'll need to remove the top panel to access the board so to do that, pul the unit out and remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel then pull straight back up, and off. Below is a link to the control board you'd need to order and replace for your model number. Unfortunately it costs about $260.

CLICK HERE for control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?