How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 81274
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a new GE side by side refridgerator I mus move. There

Customer Question

Hi Pearl,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I have a new GE side by side refridgerator I mus move. There is no problem removing the doors, or disconnecting the water and electrical, but there are two black plastic pieces that stick out from the bottom of the unit I wish to remove, so I don't break them off. What are they, and how do I remove them?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is brand new, never been used, and I do not know the model number.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Can you take a picture of the black pieces you are referring to and then use the paper clip button above this text box to attach the file so I can see the picture?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I am not at that address. What I am referring to are two, black plastic arms that extend out from the base of the unit, about two inches, one for each door. They are some type of closure mechanism, and certainly restrict the moving of this unit between a tight jamb/door opening. Doors, hinge brackets, all come off easily, but these two pieces remain...i want to remove them to move the unit.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no need to call, just want to know how to remove the brackets
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Yes, those are the tensioner closers for the door. They are just bolted into place so you should just need to unscrew the bolts in order to remove them.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

The bolts will either be coming in from the front, or you may have to tip the unit backwards a bit and the bolts will be coming in from below the refrigerator depending on the model number.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, figured they were something like that, I just have not located the bolts/capscrews that secure them...thought perhaps they simply slid sideways or something, and I wasn't doing it correctly. I shall look closer...thank you.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Alright good luck.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?