Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an Amana refrigerator side-by-side, model# sz027mbw,

Customer Question
I have an Amana refrigerator...
I have an Amana refrigerator side-by-side, model# ***** Serial #920208906.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Amana is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It seems to run more often than I expect. Came with the house 5 years ago and just noticed over the past couple of month. Have cleaned the coils. Things are staying cold. Just runs more than I expect. What is normal cycling time. Indoors, air conditioned. Not opened an exceptional amount. Runs early in the morning as well (defrosting?).
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Don't see problems with the magnetic seals. Do have a vibration that I can abate with a wedge on the undercarriage.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
10/7/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Run time can be affected by many things, including ambient room temperature, amount of food, etc. Average duty is about 70%, so it will run about 7 of every 10 minutes. Does it seem to run more than that?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As I said, the house is air conditioned and is kept at 72 F in summer. 70 F in winter.
What is the rated amperage of the model I indicated? That would enable me to estimate what it costs to run it if it is running 70% of the time. (70% does not sound reasonable. What is your reference for that figure?)
Thanks for any insights.
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last person has opted out of your question!

My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

I do not find any info on the model number of sz027mbw can you please look once again ?

Are you still there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Used magnifying glass to find correct model number: Amana Szd27mbw. Manual at http://shared.whirlpoolcorp.com/assets/pdfs/literature/Use%20and%20Care%20Guide%20-%2010165805.pdf

Thank you ,You caught me at lunch .

Expert Kelly was right this old of a unit will probably run approx 70 % of the time since it was manufactured in early 1991

Back then the unit would go into a defrost mode(turn off for 21 min every 8 hours.

Back then they used the fiberglass blanket type insulation .

Where today they use the spray in foam type insulation that does not break down .

Your unit with it`s age the insulation has started to break down and which will make it cycle on more often because it can nor retain the internal temperature.

With the unit as old as it is even running just 70% may be a stretch it could possibly be more to 80% or even more depending upon how the gaskets are sealing and how often the doors are opened.

I hope this answers your question if not just reply back to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have looked at about 4 other references to refrigerator run times based on actual measurements. The lowest was 40% for a closed, never opened fridge. Another said modern fridges are designed to run 50% of the time (no specific data). Another showed the time lines of energy usage, including spikes for heaters for defrosting. The runtime was about typically less than 50%. However, during a party, the unit ran steadily for 4 hours to keep up with the traffic. None of the sources I could find cited anywhere near 70% as an average and certainly not 80%. Of course, I don't know how old these units referenced were or their capacity. Just wondering your justification for the 80% figure. If it is reasonable for the unit to run 80% of the time, I don't a problem.

yes I imaging the specs you are finding is for when the product was NEW not almost 30 years old.

Some of the newer refrigerators actually run 95% of the time and ONLY turn off during a defrost cycle .

it is more energy efficient to have the unit run all the time and just have the compressor slow down when not needing to cool the unit.

The reason behind that is upon start up of the motors and the compressor the amperage (energy usage almost triples ) verses having the motors and or compressor run continuously. the biggest factor is your units age is was manufactured in March of 1991.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are correct that my model is older--manufactured in February of 1992 (not 1991). As you say, that is the issue as more than anything else.Your point about the breakdown of fiberglass insulation doesn't make sense as an explanation. Fiberglass doesn't chemically break down over time. Fiberglass insulation does reduce its R-value through settling or compaction, but not deterioration. When it is in situ in vertical applications, it really doesn't settle.
Furthermore, my Amana model uses foam insulation (see owner's manual). According to a source on the manufacture of refrigerators, foam replaced fiberglass as an insulator in the early 1990s, so this model may be an early adopter.When amperage doubles or triples during startup,the spike typically lasts a fraction of a second. Isn't the reason for continuous running one of reducing wear and tear created by starting and stopping rather than energy efficiency? No big deal. That's not the issue for now.

you are correct the fiberglass material does not break down BUT the bonding agent holding the fibers do how ever.

Foam was did not replace fiber glass across the board for all manufactures, Whirlpool was the first to start using it and now that is all they use ,to this day some manufactures still use fiber glass in their products.

And I can see that my 36 years as an appliance tech has no bearing on my answer to you .

for you seem to have googled it and seem to know everything.

So I `m going to opt out

Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech