John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Frigidaire fex831fs4. Will not drain/spin. When you

Customer Question

Hi I have a Frigidaire fex831fs4. Will not drain/spin. When you turn timer to spin, it buzzes a bit but no more. This occurs at each cycle position. Also when tricking the lid lock to be able to see water in tub, it is now stuck in a "locked position"
Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

It will not spin if it does not drain, so the issue is likely that the pump is plugged. Have you checked the pump for obstructions?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not. Is it straight forward, ie. Front panel removal. What is the faint buzz of the timer knob assembly?
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Are you certain the noise is from the timer and not the pump?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Slight vibration with the light buzz. Tried to listen to be sure down by the base but still really think it is at the knob. Also how do I get the lid lock to retract or will that correct itself?
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

The lid lock should unlock when the timer is shut off. It is time delayed and takes about 90 seconds or so. Do you have a meter to test the lid switch with? If the lid switch is not closed, the pump will not start. That is what it sounds like you have happening.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No the lid switch was my fault. I just used a flat head to bypass. I was too impatient to wait thirty seconds. It is at a rental house. So I think that issue probably corrected itself.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But the noise is at the timer, but not loud.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Okay, so you bypassed the lid switch and the pump is still not getting energized? Can you test the lid switch for continuity to see if that switch is closing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I could but it would be tomorrow unfortunately. It still goes into wash cycle though so I think it's good
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

It will wash with the lid switch open, just not drain or spin.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that's right
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

It sounds like the lid switch has issues. If you can test it we can know for sure. I will be available when you are able or can send you the service manual that will have all the testing info in it. I will send that option.