Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Barry .. We have a Whirlpool French door refrigerator that

Customer Question
Hi Barry .. We have...
Hi Barry .. We have a Whirlpool French door refrigerator that has stopped freezing in the freezer.. it is cold but not freezing things. I have tried almost everything that I have read online and nothing has helped. Any ideas of what it could be?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I don't know the exact year and/or model either - I am sorry I am at work.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have checked the compressor, the compressor fan, defrosted the ice on the back panel .. looked at the evaporator fan and it is working
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2016
Appliance Technician: Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

So you did have ice or frost on the rear interior freezer wall?

and how did you defrost that ice?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi woody .. Please have patience with me as I am a female and don't know much about refrigerator parts,..Yes we did have ice on the back panel - that is what we defrosted and melted by unplugging the refrigerator and letting it sit for a few hours. I also used my hair dryer to speed things up.

ok but you did not remove the rear interior panel to defrost in behind the rear wall panel?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we did remove the back panel and I saw some coils that were covered with ice. That is the ice that we removed.

I suspect that you have a defrost issue.

but with out knowing what model you have It is impossible for me to tell you how to correct the issue.

because Whirlpool over the years has had many different ways that the unit is automatically defrosted.

Does your unit have any digital displays on it? or it is numerical number turn controls?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is digital.. I mean the front has the menu and stuff on it where you can adjust the temperature etc .. is that what you mean?

ok that at least narrows it down a bit!

The electronic models have three components that are in the defrost circuit.

The defrost heater, defrost thermostat, and the electronic control board.

Now those type controls can be manually advanced into a defrost mode. BUT I would need to model number to know exactly which way to advance the unit into a defrost mode.

Some models will even run a self test of the defrost thermostat and the defrost heat.

So in short I will need the model number from inside the fresh food section to tell you exactly how.

But I have at least given you an idea what the issue is .

you can reply back to me when you get home with the number and I can assist you later on .

Tonight I have a College Class I have to teach so I will be off line after 4P.M today

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks woody.. I will get the model number tonight and continue this chat tomorrow - is that ok ?

yes that is great !

just save the conversations URL address to your favorites and reply back when you can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks a million.. talk to you tomorrow !

ok Great!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The model #is WRF989SDAF00

Thank you!

The display has six switches starting from the left it is numbered #1 the far right is #6, so from left to right you have #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 .

So lets press the switch #1 far left and the switch #2 both at the same time service test #1 should come up ,then press #5 pad until you advance the unit into test #6

This will test the defrost heater and the defrost biametal if they are good it will show a 01 if they are bad/open it will show a 02.

After that test advance the testing to service test #7 this will bring the defrost mode on as long as test #6 showed 01.

If you do not get a 01 in test #6 let me know.

But if you did get a 01 and in test #7 the heater should come one and defrost the ice if it does not please let me know also.

To ENTER SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS Mode: Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

Unit must not be in Lockout prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in step 1 of the diagnostics routine.

To EXIT SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS Mode: do one of the following 3 options:

• Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

• Disconnect the product from power.

• Allow 20 minutes to pass. Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

Cooling diagnostics are steps 1 through 7 .

Each step must be manually advanced. Press SW5 to move to the next step in the sequence. Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous step.

Diagnostics will begin at Step 1. Each step is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display. The step results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the step number is *****

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the step number is ***** displayed and a red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the step is being displayed. All button and pad inputs shall be ignored and all inputs shall be off except as described in the actions for each step.

Service Test - 1 FC thermistor • The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display flashes results on the Temp Display. (01 = Pass, 02 = Open, 03 = Short)

Service Test - 2 RC thermistor

• The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp Display (01 = Pass, 02 = Open, 03 = Short)

Service Test - 3 Evaporator fan motor and air baffle motor

• Control the RC & FC Evaporator Fan Mtrs. by depressing SW3 (01= Both Fan Mtr. off. 02 =FC Fan on.)

• Depress SW3 once to advance. Step 3 will flash quickly and advances to steps 13/23 very quickly. The result is RC Fan on, Pantry Air Damper on. Pantry Air Damper will open and close automatically. (13= Damper Open. 23= Damper Closed). Verify air flow inside pantry on left hand side when damper is open, (13 displayed). Air flow in pantry will cease when 23 is displayed). • Depress SW3 to advance to last step. (04 = Both RC & FC fans on).

Service Test - 4 Compressor/ condenser fan motor/evaporator fan

• There will be a delay of 3 seconds before start of sub step 01. Each step is timed and be automatically proceed tho the next step. User will not be allowed to exit step. If exit is attempted, an invalid chime will be produced.

• Control the Sealed System loads selecting SW3 (01 = Initialize Dual Evap Valve in home position (4min), 02 = Close both RC&FC Evap Valve (1min), 03 = Turn compressor ON (1min), 04 = Keep compressor ON, drive the valve to RC position & turn RC fan ON, 05 = Keep compressor ON, drive the valve to FC position & turn FC fan ON. Verify air flow from the evaporator fan. Note: Advance quickly through step 4 to keep from locking in. Once locked in you can’t exit, must wait wait ten minutes approximately.

Service Test - 5 Compressor Status / Speed

• Initial Display 02 = Minimum speed

• Depress SW3. Display = 03. Compressor Ramps up to Max speed. When Max speed reached, 01 displayed.

• Depress SW3. Display = 04 Speed ramps down from Max to minimum speed. Display = 02

Service Test - 6 Defrost heater/Bi-metal

• Note: if bi-metal is open, it will need to be by-passed for heater to operate. Heater should be on. Display will be blank until a valid reading is displayed. (01 = Bi-metal closed, 02 = Bi-metal open)

Service Test - 7 Defrost mode Selection

• The defrost mode can be set by using SW3. In ADC Mode the product will automatically defrost after a minimum of 8 hours of compressor runtime up to maximum of 96 hours of compressor runtime, depending upon product usage. In Basic Mode the product will automatically defrost after 8 hours of compressor runtime. (01 = ADC ON, 02 = Basic Mode ON 8 hour timer.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok dropping kids off at schooln will do wen i get back in a few minutes

ok no problem!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Woody..sorry we had some family issues and just got home..in any case we did the first test and got a #2..so i guess it is bad. What should we do now?

Sorry I was not available later in the day !

I lost internet form AT&T for over 8 hours yesterday

Ok yes that tells me either the defrost thermostat/ biametal or the defrost heater is open = BAD

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it ,to be able to test the actual components?

The defrost heater is around $40.00 and the defrost thermostat is around $130.00 I would like to be able to pin point the component that has failed before giving you a part number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No worries..We are going to buy an ohm meter today and will get back to you later today, if ok.

sorry with being out yesterday .

I have a few questions to answer back to .

And yes that is fine no worries as they say LOL!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Woody..can you send me instructions on what to do once we get the ohm meter so we can start in case your not available later tonight?

I do not have step by step instructions ,the manufacture does not even provide instructions in that detail.

Here is from the service manual .

you will need to unplug the defrost heater Black loop around and under the coil and test it and the defrost thermostat (page 5-13 shows the location of the defrost biametal

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Woody..we tested the defrost heater n it looks like it has no continuity..we cant test the biametal because it is not cold..does that make sense?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nevermind..we were checking the wrong part..we just checked it and it works..gonna go get ice water to test the other part

yes the defrost biametal has to be in ice water to test it .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We tested the biametal n it has no continuity..so i suppose we should replace it..do we need to check anythimg else?

Nothing else to check when you did the diagnostics and in step $6 got the 02 instead of the 01 that told us the defrost circuit was open .

And you have found the heater was good but the biametal was open/ bad after it was cold .

so it does need to be replaced.

Now here is Whirlpool gets you, you have to buy and replace the freezer Evaporator fan and the biametal comes with the fan harness..

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Evaporator-Fan-Motor/WPW10514110/2684741?rcaid=1000070

if you have any questions just let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you so much for all your help- you've been great... But one question.. why cant I just replace the biametal.. why does it have to be the whole part with the fan?

That is the ONLY way Whirlpool manufactures the parts and sales the part ,I to think it is a CROCK.

I think it is just a money maker type of issue.

You can not but JUST the biametal.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What If I buy it from another place - just the biametal?

any parts dealer has to purchase it from the manufacture of the part which is Whirlpool

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oh ok I see. Well thank you very much - You have been amazing.... I will rate you with 5 stars!!!

Thank you and have a nice weekend!

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I may just do that later because the ice maker was giving us issues too.....
Thanks again!

no problem ,but fix the defrost issue and let it run and cool for at least 24 hours before working on the unit again ,so temps will equalize.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks for that information....

No problem, Sorry for the delay Trying to grade Mid Term Tests also today !!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Woody..just a quick question..we ordered the part and are waiting for it to get here. In the interim..weve noticed the refrigerator part is not cold now..is this normal to expect or is this something new?

Yes the defrost issue will also effect the fresh food section .

since the freezer is what cools everything thru out the entire unit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks again

no problem!

Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech