Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have the same problem with water leaking into my

Customer Question

I have the same problem with water leaking into my refrigerator as the customer wrote in seven years ago.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: It's model 106.73192302 Series EP5019276 .Guessing 5-10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. It happened last year and I defrosted it and also poured warm water in rear of freezer because ice freezes around the unit in back of freezer. I took things apart internally in the freezer although the floor is not removable then and am wondering if that was necessary.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I was just guessing at the time. What do you recommend doing first knowing it is also a symptom that ice is backing up in the freezer? How can I prevent this????
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

In the diagram at the link below, did you remove the number 16 rear cover to access the defrost drain?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think so-it was a long time ago to remember specifics-at the moment I haven't emptied the freezer or fridge-thought I'd research and do exactly what I need to do.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

If the drain was thawed and froze up again, you will need to install the drain heater that was designed for this issues. Please allow me just a few minutes and I will get you information for that repair.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry regarding phone call. Trying to save every dollar these days. Times are tough.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Oh, no worries, that is an auto offer, I don't send those.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do I need to remove everything and unplug the fridge no matter what?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The heater kit at the link below is easy to install and will prevent the drain from freezing up again. It is very easy to install and comes with instructions. Be sure to thaw the drain completely and you should have no further trouble!

CLICK HERE

You don't need to have it unplugged for long, just long enough to remove that rear panel in the freezer and thaw the drain. Typically, it takes about 30 minutes. Be sure not to use anything sharp to remove the ice!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do they sell them at Sears, Home Depot etc. so I can pick one up? I did not take off the back of the fridge last time. This is new for me. Do I need to remove food from fridge and freezer to do what you're recommending?
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

Oh, I apologize. Yes, the rear panel from inside the freezer will need to be removed. Once the food has been taken out, there will be screws to remove and the panel will pull off. Once it is off, you will see the aluminum evaporator coil. At the very bottom, you will see the drip tray and the drain hole. Thaw that tray and drain hole and then you can install the heater. I will see if I can find you a video. Please allow me just a few minutes.

Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

See the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the video but I also have an ice maker to work around. Do I HAVE to remove the rear wall or can I safely remove the middle outer section after the ice melts and access the drain to defrost it ? If the back has to be removed to install heating straps, we can do that when my husband is available to help. I really appreciate any help you are giving me.
Expert:  Kelly replied 9 months ago.

The ice maker will need to be removed. There are three screws, two above the ice maker and one below. Then, it will simply unplug.