Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Have a kenmore elite 5.2 front load washer that only spins

Customer Question
sometimes and makes a clunking...
Have a kenmore elite 5.2 front load washer that only spins sometimes and makes a clunking noise when it stops or changes direction changed speed sensor same issue
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2 yrs made by lg for kenmore 796.41072310
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would like to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that i can think of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If you open the door and lift up and down on the inner tub, does it move or is it solid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its solid and spins freely

Can you replicate the noise by manually turning or moving the tub?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When it goes to spin it make clunking noise also worse when washing towels/heavy items spin will say 11 on display then go to end
  1. Can you replicate the noise by manually turning or moving the tub?
  2. Can you tell from what area the noise comes?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The noise is from the motor where it attaches to splines on hub sounds like the the motor is trying to start then abruptly stops
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If i move the motor by hand i can feel slight play

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

In the diagram at the link below, number K360 is the rotor. Number K123 holds it in place. If you remove that rotor for inspection, does it look like the center with the plastic splines is worn?

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has a very very small amout of play that is the noise but the real issue is that sometimes it will spin and sometimes it doesn't
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The plastic and rotor are fine had that apart when i changed the position sensor

The rotor has to be tight because the sensor will see if it has issues. Inside that rotor are many magnets that act and react with the coils on the stator. I believe the rotor issue (and the noise) is the cause of the spin issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The noise sounds like the motor is recieving the power eractac

Did you happen to get a look at those magnets on the inside of the rotor? Were they clean or have any marks on them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The whole thing is clean no rub marks anywhere if i replace it and it doesn't work do i have to pay again to continue trying to repair the washer

No, of course not. I am going through some service bulletins on your model. Do you have just a few minutes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please just need it repaired

On this model, there has been an issue with the yellow wire that leads to the motor. The wire breaks inside and makes intermittent contact. That sounds like it may be what you have going on. Can you check that wire, bending it in several places to see if the wire feels broken inside?

The issue usually pops up in the part of the wiring harness that is taped up, according to the service bulletin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In what section of the wire harness the one from the stator to the conector

I will get you a picture, just one second, please. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok i no where that is will check and get back to u have to take it apart again give me some time

Of course, take your time, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yellow wire is not broken

Thank you. I suspect the issue lies with the rotor. I would replace it and see what happens. I can send you a link to a company that allow returns on installed parts, so you can return it for a refund if the problem remains. Would you like that link?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
please just the rotor not the stator

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Kelly, Appliance Technician