Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a built in microwave that is not turning on. The

Customer Question

I have a built in microwave that is not turning on. The buttons all work but it is not heating. I'm not sure if this is the model # or if this # can help. P/no 3850W ID 113D. This is a GE Profile and if about 3 1/2 years old.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: As I said it is about 3 1/2 years old. The only # I can see is the one above since it is built in.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can if not, I guess I can call someone.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I will need help in trouble shooting the problem. You can push the buttons, the clock counts down but no power comes on to microwave.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do you have any answers or help on fixing my problem with the microwave?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Sorry, I was not able to post.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Does it sound the same as it always has or is it much quieter or make any odd noises?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It makes the same noises when pushing the buttons but when you push start, it is silent but the clock counts down like it is working.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Okay, so that is actually good. It means you just have a door switch that has failed. Are you wanting to repair this yourself?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I can.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The model tag should be around the oven opening when the door is open. May I have the model number, please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
PEB2060SM2SS serial #301753
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

In the diagram at the link below, one of the number 604 switches has failed. I would replace them both.

CLICK HERE

They are the same switch and available below.

CLICK HERE

Access is gained by removing the outer cabinet, there are screws on the bottom and back. Of course, the microwave trim will need to be removed and the microwave pulled from the cabinet. Make sure you stay away from all components except from those switches, voltage can be stored in the large capacitor, even with it unplugged. If you stay only by the switches with the cover off, you will have no trouble.

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions!

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I'll wait for your answer.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

CLICK HERE

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome, thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am finally trying to replace the door switch. One of them is corroded onto the wire harness and it won't come off. Can I replace that?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

You can get the connector ends from Radio Shack. The harness only comes as a complete assembly and it is available below.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think I'm fine. I have to wait for the harness assembly to come. No place in town had a connector that would work.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

OH, well that is not good! At least a solution is near, though, thank you!