Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a: KENMORE ELITE DISHWASHER-model # 665.12789K311. I

Customer Question
have been on here before...
I have a: KENMORE ELITE DISHWASHER-model # 665.12789K311. I have been on here before and was advised to replace the following parts: control board (twice), circulation pump, fill valve, float switch and lever. All of the replacement repairs went well. However minutes into the wash cycle,the wash light will flash on and off never progressing through the rest of the cycle. I did let it go to see what would happen and water starts to seep out the door. What is the issue? What is the solution?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
9/27/2016
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Catigory
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

When the unit is leaking is the bottom sump full of water and overflowing?

And you say you have replaced the control board (twice) have you replaced the console/keypad assembly? or just the electronic control board.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just the electronic control board...don't know if sump is full or not...just a little leaking around door. The only way to drain completely is to touch the drain button on the key pad. The keypad works fine

ok when it starts to leak you will need to open the door and look down in the bottom sump area to see if it is full and overflowing.

And it is the WASH light that blinks and not the clean light correct? need to make sure!!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK...now I know what you mean...Yes the bottom of dishwasher is full of water...And since it is in the wash cycle, it is the washing light that flashes

ok and since the sump is full of water if you press cancel once the unit will go ahead and drain all the water out correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct

ok and when you start the dishwasher as normal after the unit fills with water (first 2 min) do you hear the wash pump circulating the water in the unit?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but as the wash lights begins to flash on and off it sounds like to me it stops then back on

ok can you give me the circulation pump part number that you replaced please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z. from this website had me order part # WPW10314568 Pump and # W10813313 control board

ok those are the correct parts for this model number of unit!

When it stops and comes back on is the coming back on the display or the entire unit?

Or better questions when it comes back on do you hear the circulation pump motor running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well sounds like to me the entire unit. but the machine is so quite its hard to really tell.yes you hear it swish again

ok and when it does come back on and then stops again your not touching the unit at all correct?

And when it shuts off the entire console goes blank correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct and correct...the last time I tried to wash, I pulled codes like Tyler told me and it pulled the code for the float switch, which is what I replaced with the lever.

ok if it is going blank and when it comes back on it just starts right back up on it`s own you do not have to do anything correct? and does it seem to start back up in the same place that it stopped in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct and yes....it never progresses through the entire wash because after about an hour (which is way to long on a quick wash) or I notice water starting to leak out the door not from underneath I tap the cancel button to fully drain

ok and have you opened the junction box under the unit on the right front corner to make sure that you do not have a loose electrical connection?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
everything is fine
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No loose wire nuts and everything protected with the waterproof wrapping and back in the metal case

ok so then the next step is to test the voltage to the control board while the unit is running and when it shuts off.

Test on the P4 connector test P4-1 White to the P4-2 black and when it shuts off see if you are still getting the 120 volts A/C to the control board.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok..
I will have to wait until my husband gets home from work for that one...he is the licensed electrician..I will update when he tests it.

ok if you do loose it then the issue has to be between the junction box and the control board .

if your not loosing the 120 volts then check the door switch and door switch connections on P9 terminal on the control board.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are losing the power in the wash step. I've checked the connections from the junction box to control panel and see no issues. One thing that I did notice is that when we skip to the drain step we aren't losing the power during this entire step. It would only stand to reason that we should loose power if there was an issue with the incoming power. Could there be an issue with the control panel just on the wash cycle alone? And if so is it something that could be replaced.
Thanks

the water circulating motor is entirely different from the drain motor.

The circulation pump motor pulls more amperage+ power then the drain pump motor.

And you have already replaced the control board and still have the same issue, so very unlikely it is a issue with the control board ,I still suspect a loose connection to the control board ,so it will be either one of the door switches or on the thermal fuse on the control board.

John, Home Appliance Technician