John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Ice maker is fine the receptacle in the freezer for the ice

Customer Question

ice maker is fine the receptacle in the freezer for the ice maker has no voltage help please ....Charles
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hgm6418
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hmg64184 this is the right no.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Does your ice maker look like the one at the link below?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is nothing wrong with ice maker or water valve
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Okay, great, thank you! On the front of the ice maker there are holes to measure voltage points. Do you have a meter to test with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no voltage.............. im not going to get voltage to the ice maker if the receptacle in the freezer has no power
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Are you testing with the door switch pushed in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Have you tested for power between ground and line and not just the neutral to determine whether you are losing the line or the neutral at the plug?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
check voltage im getting about 1 or 2 volts the orange to white the orange to green samething 1 to 2 volts
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Okay, one last question. Are you testing at the harness right where it plugs into the ice maker? There is a thermal fuse that clips onto the ice maker mold in the line voltage wire. Are you measuring after that fuse or before it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i am measuring at the freezer receptacle where you plug the ice maker into there is nothing wrong with the ice maker no power to the receptacle in the freezer where you plug the ice maker into
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
where does the power come from that goes to the receptacle in the freezer
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Number 20 in the diagram at the link below is the wiring harness to the ice maker. If you are measuring at the round part and not the rectangular part, you have a broken wire in the cabinet. The wiring goes to the bottom of the cabinet, there is a large Molex connector there. There may be a removable plate on the back to access connections, too.

CLICK HERE

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

It would be very unlikely for that to be the case, but it can happen. Can you remove the number 19 panel (see link below) and see if you can find voltage along the line there?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not satisfied
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Take care.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cancel