Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

Washer will not drain, I am attempting to remove the front

Customer Question

washer will not drain
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I am attempting to remove the front panel to get to the hoses maytag mah2400aww
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if I can dryer is on top
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: top of washer
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an nl error code and water in the machine
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

hello , do you have room to slide the washer and dryer out as a unit ?thx Randy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
it is in a drain pan
unit is on a 3rd floor of a townhouse
drain pan for protection
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

if you can tilt it back as a unit and walk it forward over the lip of the drain pan and tilt against the back wall ,if you can get it tilted a foot or so ..the pump is right there on the front corner ,few screws and and hoses to take off and you can access it ..i find its usually a coin in there impeding the impeller ..if the lip of the drain pan lip gets a little warped it can always be bent back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are saying I get to the pump from the bottom, not the front of the unit?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

from the bottom on that model, unless your model has a cut out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no need to remove the front panel. I have to tilt the machine and I will see the pump
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

yours looks to have a button catch , can you get the bottom kickplate off?

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

no front panel doesnt need to come off

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

if you get the bottom kickplate off there is a plastic nut on the right ..bleed the water off with the small hose and then open the plastic nut that goes right into the drain pump impeller

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it off and only see a metal panel with a cut out. I can see the pump, just can't get to it.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

you get at it from the bottom if you want to remove it ..thats why if you can tilt the whole two machines backwards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
again, are you saying I can only attempt to clean the pump is by tilting the machine, not via the front panel?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

you dont need to remove the front panel , just that kickplate and access from the bottom of the machine

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I tilt the machine, then what do I do?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

there should be a round opening in that metal cutout on the right

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

if you tilt the machine , and take off the floor that will give you access to the pump if you want to get to it to check for a blockage

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you saying there is a round cut out at the bottom or front.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

after the kickplate is removed there is a round cutout on the bottom righthandside on the front ...then also you can tilt it back if reqd to fully access the drain if you need to take it out ? if you want to have a look inside ..you access the drain pump from the round cutout on the front bottom right corner after the very bottom kickplate is removed

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

some models dont have the access nut in the cutout ,if thats the case you get at the pump from underneath , no need to take front panel off , u get at it from the bottom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, this is not working. I am ending this conversation
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 1 year ago.
Hello:
I'm Gina, a moderator for this topic. Can you confirm for me, if you'd like to work with a different Expert or if you'd like to cancel your question?
Thanks so much,
Gina