Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

First I need to understand what costs are incurred in going

Customer Question
through your service. JA: I'm not...
First I need to understand what costs are incurred in going through your service.
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Is there an "average cost?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: a few months
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Possibly.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: GE model GSH25JFTAWW refrigerator. There are indications that some sort of "overheat" condition occurred in a freezer. Time of occurrence is unknown. Already planning to change out a defrost thermostat because of apparent problems with that. But, I noticed that a seal on a removeable panel inside the freezer was "melted" and the panel was discolored.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: GE model GSH25JFTAWW - between 5 and ten years old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Is it back to cooling now, even though there was an issue with an overheat condition?

Also, the round bimetal that looks like the defrost thermostat is only a safety fuse. It opens when the temperature gets to 140* F, so replacing it will not solve the issue you are having.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is cooling fine, so far. We had a previous issue with the ice machine freezing up, but I'm not dealing with that, at the moment. The discoloration / heating appears to be down lower on the removeable back panel inside the freezer. A seal partially melted on the left side (Looking in) and there was an ice pack in contact with that panel. whose plastic cover also melted.

Thank you. It could be an issue with the control board but is more likely to be a defrost sensor failure. Did you remove the rear panel from inside the freezer, or can you now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't now. will be able to, later. Where is the sensor?

Once the rear panel in the freezer has been removed, if you look in the upper left corner, on top of the aluminum evaporator coil, the defrost sensor is clipped on the coil. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

The sensor is available below. It will need to be spliced in but comes with the needed pigtail connectors. I would replace that sensor before you replace the board. The sensor may be tested but oftentimes will test fine at one temperature but fail at others, so I would replace it.

CLICK HERE

You deserve 5 star service! I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for preparing the info. I'll make good use of it. I thought that I did see the component clipped to the coil. That's the one that goes "on" at one temperature and off at another, right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Part number WR50X1007?

No, it is a little white part whose resistance changes with temperature. The other one is bigger, about the size of a quarter. That is the protective thermostat, it opens at 140* F. When it opens, the refrigerator has usually caught on fire. :-)

Number 240 is the high temp thermostat, the defrost sensor is 243, see link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yikes! So, what overheated (or burned)?

I suspect the defrost sensor is not working so it did not turn the heater (number 230) off when it should have. So, that is why I would replace that sensor. It is what tells the control board when the heater is okay and turn on and when it should turn off.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK - It appears that I'm just having a nomenclature problem. I am supposed to replace the component clipped to the coil, right. Pink and orange wires, about the diameter of a quarter and around an inch thick?

No, the sensor is about as big around as a pencil and is all white, including the wires. It is mounted at the very top left corner of the coil, I sent you the link to the part.

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it. Thank you Kelly. I'll follow up on it and get the correct part replaced. Thanks for your patience!

Thank you!

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.

Kelly, Appliance Technician