Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I am having issues with my KitchenAid Ice Maker again,

Customer Question

I am having issues with my KitchenAid Ice Maker again
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: KUIC15PLYS1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YEs
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The ice maker is not making ice. The blue power light comes on and water is pumped into the reservoir , but the recirculating pump never pumps it up to the evaporator. I notices the clean rest button is no longer green and none of the buttons respond except for the on off
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I replaced the control board in July and everything was working fine. The the ice maker stopped making ice a few days ago and because water was being pumped into the reservoir and not onto the evaporator, I replaced the recirculating pump today, but it still in not working and that is when I realized the Clean/Rest Button was not green and none of the buttons except for the on/off are working.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 10 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

Normally when that happens the water level sensor is bad. You should check the sensor with an ohm meter. See if it reads 25K-50K ohms if not replace it.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I need to remove the evaporator plate to test the water level ohms? The wires for the water level sensor is up behind that plate?

The wires for that sensor are right by the water pump wires it is very easy to get at.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I replaced the water level sensor and still not working. Water pumps into the reservoir and just stays there and never pumps water up to evaporator.

Is it filling with water?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the reservoir fills with water and after a while it will pump it out and refill with new water. Not sure how often this happens. It just never pumps it up to the evaporator plate. I have replaced recirculating pump last week and the reservoir pump 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What should I do next?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still waiting for an answer. Do I need to add more money?