How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joel Swenson Your Own Question
Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 2949
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Joel Swenson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My GE Profile fridge is forming blocks of ice under the pull

Customer Question

My GE Profile fridge is forming blocks of ice under the pull out drawer. It is a bottom freezer French door model number PFSS6PKXESS. We had an appliance repair man (not GE) this morning. He said he didn't know if it could be fixed. Suggested totally defrosting the fridge. Have you heard of this problem before. The fridge is almost 6 years old. Thank you
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

If the ice you are referring too is building up in the bottom of the freezer under the drawer, then yes it can be fixed, its not easy though which is probably why the technician said that, he just did not want to fool with it most likely.

every 8-12 hours your refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle to melt the ice off the evaporator coils in the freezer, then the water drains down the defrost drain tube to the defrost pan under the fridge, if the tube gets stopped up it will cause the water to back up into the freezer and freezes. The drain will have to be cleaned out.

On your model the drain is located behind the very back freezer panel in the freezer under the evaporator coils you will need to remove everything out of the freezer and take off the back panel and you will see a small hole under the evaporator that is where the water is suppose to drain, get a air hose if you have an air compressor or a turkey baster and hot water and blow the drain out until the water drains down the hole properly and it will be fixed, let me know if you have any questions. In the meantime, please read below:


The only way I get credit for the time I spend helping you is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of your page. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and unrated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?