Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I also have a 30" Caloric J070 natural gas range/oven and

Customer Question
although the burners work fine...
I also have a 30" Caloric J070 natural gas range/oven and although the burners work fine, and the oven pilot works fine, the oven no longer turns on. (It wasn't used for a number of years.) advice appreciated!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
9/18/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If you watch the pilot flame when the thermostat is turned on, does it get bigger or stay the same size?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kelly, it doesn't change at all when I attempt to turn the oven on.

Okay, so that tells us that the issue is likely with the thermostat, not the oven valve. If you turn the thermostat on and tap the pilot area with a screwdriver, does the flame still stay small?

Thank you! We need to find you a new thermostat. Of course, the original one is no longer available, so we may need to look at a universal one. Are you comfortable making some modifications and working with gas?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've worked with gas before & have technical/plumbing skills.

Excellent! Can you post a picture of the thermostat you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure how to reveal the thermostat. I'm removing the top of the stove and unscrewing the escutcheon

Once the top is raised, there should be screws to remove the control cover panel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not sure how to reveal the thermostat. I'm removing the top of the stove and unscrewing the escutcheon — the escutcheon is frozen on. The thermostat/control is released and moving freely (those two Phillips screws are out, but is captive under the escutcheon.

Are there screws under the panel, above the oven opening?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You see in the photo that there is a screwhead - but it was corroded or covered in "gunk" — used a knife but could not reveal the Phillips head or hex-key slot!!! Still trying.

Yeah, they can be difficult to get off after being in place for so long.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
However I am now able to read markings on the cast aluminum body of the thermostat/control. It reads "ITT Controls and Instruments; Electrical Rating 500 mV"

Any other markings? Did you find the model you originally posted on a tag with the serial number or is there another tag under the main top with another model number on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alas, no other markings inside or under any components or cavities that have been revealed.There must be a solenoid and electronics controlled by that ITT thermostat/control. I fear that we don't know whether the thermostat/control, or the solenoid, is faulty. But it could also be something as simple as 110 VAC failing to reach the control electronics. I will have to check the house wiring too. No reason to suspect, but you never know.

Any other model number markings that I can help use to get an idea of the co0ntrol system used?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alas, no other markings inside or under any components or cavities that have been revealed.There must be a solenoid and electronics controlled by that ITT thermostat/control. I fear that we don't know whether the thermostat/control, or the solenoid, is faulty. But it could also be something as simple as 110 VAC failing to reach the control electronics. I will have to check the house wiring too. No reason to suspect, but you never know.I went down to the basement and located the electrical cable to the service panel. An electrical box is open (not properly covered) directly under the oven. I'm going to have to return next week (this is my mother's home now; we've been here 52 years) with a multimeter.

I understand, thank you. Let me know what you find. Have a great rest of your weekend!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. This was a very good experience.

I appreciate that, thank you! We will work through this until we get to a solution!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You have a great rest-of-weekend too!

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Kelly
I brought a multimeter (and a portable light) and verified that 120 VAC is being supplied to the Caloric ocen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Kelly
I brought a multimeter (and a portable light) and verified that 120 VAC is being supplied to the Caloric oven.

So the thermostat is likely faulty then. Any more numbers seen on it at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No - I'll either have to use penetrating oil or a Dremel Tool to remove the escutcheon - next time I'm there.Couldn't it be an electronic control module, or a step down transformer located behind or under the oven itself?

Without knowing what control system it has, I can't tell you much of anything.

John, Home Appliance Technician