Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

We have a 5/6 year old GE fridge with a water and ice

Customer Question
dispenser on the outside. We...
We have a 5/6 year old GE fridge with a water and ice dispenser on the outside. We came home and hour ago and it was beeping and the Tempsprint were counting down and not stopping. It dispenses ice, but not water now
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Hold on one second while we check
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Model Gfss6kkxass
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: And it's 5 to 6 years old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
9/18/2016
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago
travis webb

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will assist you today. Give me just a minute while I pull up some information for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

These are the issues that can cause your water not to dispense. Typically it turns out to be something with the water inlet valve or the water filter.

To determine if the water supply tube is frozen, disconnect the tube at the bottom of the door and blow air through it. If air does not pass through, this indicates that the water supply tube is frozen. If the water supply tube is frozen, thaw it out. In addition, ensure that the freezer is kept at the proper temperature. The freezer temperature should be kept from 0-10 degrees Fahrenheit. If the freezer is too cold, the water line may freeze.

The water inlet valve opens to supply water to the dispenser. If the water inlet valve is defective, or if the water pressure is too low, the water valve will not open. The valve requires at least 20psi to function properly. Make sure that the water pressure to the valve is at least 20 psi. If the water pressure is sufficient, use a multimeter to test the water inlet valve for continuity. If the water inlet valve does not have continuity, replace it.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/GE-Refrigerator-Water-Inlet-Valve/WR57X10082/1472740?modelNumber=GFSS6KKXASS&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b3d851389

Part testing

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/GE-Refrigerator-Water-Inlet-Valve/WR57X10082/1472740?modelNumber=GFSS6KKXASS&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b3d851389#repairHelpVideoTabsAnchor

The home may have insufficient water pressure. The water inlet valve supplies water to the water dispenser. The water inlet valve requires a minimum of 20 psi to function properly. Check the water flow and test the pressure to determine if it is at least 20 psi.

A clogged water filter can restrict the flow of water to the dispenser and prevent the dispenser from working properly. The water filter should be replaced about every six months to maintain proper water flow and ensure water quality.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/GE-Refrigerator-Water-Filter/MWFP/3024481?modelNumber=GFSS6KKXASS&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b3d851389

The door switch turns off the ice and water dispenser when the refrigerator door is open. If the door switch fails, the dispenser will not turn on. To determine if the door switch is defective, use a multimeter to test it for continuity. If the door switch does not have continuity when activated, replace it.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/GE-Refrigerator-Door-Switch/WR23X10593/1477547?modelNumber=GFSS6KKXASS&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b3d851389

If you find this information helpful please rate with 5 stars at the top. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me at any point. All of these parts are compatible with your unit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, that is not the issue. The issue is that it could time ues to beep and count down the temperature down then up. The ice works and when we turn off, the water works but then stops working. It's been beeping for 2 hours now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is *continues to beep
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know how to use a fridge. The door is closed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
our water pressure is just fine. New pipes and no problems
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
neither of these things would cause this problem
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok one moment I am pulling up your service manual.

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

Is your unit displaying any error codes with the beeping?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Just counting up and down of the freezer and fridge Temps
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

It honestly sounds to me like your control board is malfunctioning and causing this issue. I am not sure why else it would be doing what its doing other than that. If you do not find this information helpful I can opt out and open to other experts please do not rate negatively. If you do feel this could be your control board and that makes sense to you all I ask is you to rate with 5 stars. Please let me know how you wish to proceed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it's the coneroli board then how do we fix it? And what is the cost and can we fix ourselves?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
control
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/GE-Refrigerator-Main-Control-Board/WR55X10805/1477930?modelNumber=GFSS6KKXASS&ss=a4b3c13d851389&mr=1

This is the control board you would need to order? I am not sure if you are interested in replacing it because of the price but if you are I can find the information for installing it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure. Will need to discuss. Can I get back tomorrow?
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=installing+main+control+board++Gfss6kkxass&view=detail&mid=AC947C94CCB3DB6778DDAC947C94CCB3DB6778DD&FORM=VIRE

Absolutely I am here to assist you. Here is a how to video on installing this part. Its really not difficult just expensive. If you are satisfied with this information all I ask is your rate with 5 stars at the top. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me at any time. Also repair clinic is a great company because they take returns 365 Days. Period.® You may return any part or product for any reason within 365 days of placing your order. If you decide you dont want to fool with it.

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

I was wondering if you had a chance to look over the information I had provided you?

travis webb
travis webb
travis webb