Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE Profile (19 cu ft) frost free refrigerator that

Customer Question
Good afternoon, I have a GE...
Good afternoon,
I have a GE Profile (19 cu ft) frost free refrigerator that is about 16 yrs old. The compressor is still running and the fan is still running. The problem is that the fridge is not cold enough, the indoor temperature on the highest setting of 9 is ranging from 40 - 55 degree F. I can still make ice cubes in the freezer, but ice cream stays soft. I love this fridge and was wondering if there is any hope of saving it. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tyler, I know that the fan, located near the bottom of the fridge above the coils is running. I had vacuumed around the coils. When I get home this evening, I will check the freezer and silver evaporator coils behind the panel to see if they are they packed with frost, or lightly frosted from top to bottom. I will let you know. Thanks.

ok good luck and just let me know.

John, Home Appliance Technician