Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My whirlpool HE topload is locked. The End of Cycle light is

Customer Question
my whirlpool HE topload is...
my whirlpool HE topload is locked. The End of Cycle light is out.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Approx 4 - 5 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no. I think thnk the model is WED49STBWO
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I had run a 'bulky sheets' load prior to this
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
9/11/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Just to confirm, this is the dryer so the control is what is locked?

I don't see a control lock on your model. Please advise what problem you have.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gave the model # for my dryer. here is the washer number: WTW4816FWThe lights are out, the lid is locked and it tripped the GFCI in my laundry room. I could not reset it with the washer plugged in. I check the circuit breaker and it was not tripped. When I unplugged the washer and reset the GFCI, it remained active.

Okay, so it is working now? Using a GFCI on an appliance is not recommended because of nuisance tripping. Hopefully this won't happen often but if it does you may need to use a standard outlet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The washer is not plugged into the GCFI. but that plug was tripped while the washer was plugged in. When I unplugged the washer and reset the outlet, it remained active. The washer is not working.

Okay, when you have the washer plugged into a good outlet do you hear anything or are there any lights on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No lights or anything
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had washed a load of king-sized sheet set and a few other small items. I'm not sure how much of ht ecycle it completed, though I know it did start properly.

I need to leave for the day so I will opt out to let another expert help you.

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago
travis webb

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will try to assist you. I am pulling up your service manual now. So you said the problem is you start the unit and then its tripping the breaker?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I started a load yesterday and went about my day. When I went back later, the lights on the machine were out, the lid is still locked. I don't know how far into the cycle it got. I didn't notice that the GCFI that is also in the laundry room was tripped, I tried resetting it but it tripped again. When I unplugged the washing machine, it remain active. I am not currently at home - I've left the machine unplugged.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

Did you happen to notice if the wash light was on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no lights at all.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok I am looking through your service manual now. The fact that no lights are on worries me the problem is in your GFCI as opposed to your washer. Maybe not getting enough voltage or something. Do you happen to have a multimeter handy?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok well sadly without having one the things we can suggest yo to check will not be able to be done. Would you be interested in trying to figure this out on your own by purchasing a multimeter from your local hardware store or would you rather just have someone else come out and diagnosis it. Of course our company does not send people out you would need to contact someone personally.

I am willing to walk yo through what you need to do or send you over the service manual to look at to help you. Let me know how you wish to proceed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning, It is def the washer and not the GCFI. I plugged the machine in when I returned home yesterday and the Lid Lock indicator began flashing. I pressed it hoping it would release and stop the cycle but it didn't. It tripped the GCFI again. Is there a way to reset the machine? Hoping to avoid a service call but will if I have to.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok so then the next suggestion would be to check for water leaks because what could possibly be going on is the drain pump may not be draining correctly which is causing water to leak inside or underneath (on electrical wires) which of course would cause the GCFI to pop. So lets look for any water inside and under the unit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are no leaks. Just the locked lid and flashing lights.
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

Are you retrieving any error codes.

Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

Since you haven't accepted the offer for the service manual I am going to send over a picture from the diagnostic instructions over to you so you know how to enter it into this mode. I may have to send a couple screen shot photos in order to put them all on here. One moment please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great, thank you so much!!!
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

You are very welcome let me know what happens?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will do!
Appliance Technician: travis webb,
 replied 1 year ago

If you run into any problems while doing this I am here.

travis webb
travis webb
travis webb