John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We have an old (22yr old) model 590, built in side by side.

Customer Question

We have an old (22yr old) model 590, built in side by side. The refrigerator side is not working. The compressor is not getting the command to start as far as I can tell now. No voltage or current showing on the gray wire. When disconnected, the coils show continuity. I've replaced the running cap, overload, start relay and the condenser relay (though the freezer side works, just thought it prudent to replace this too as the old one was cracked on top. Now I'm wondering if the control wheel in the fridge is working, but I can't tell how to take the cover off, or the best way to check that. Any help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will try to assist you today. Give me just a few mins to pull up your manual and I will be right back with you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK

I am going to shoot you the manual I am currently looking at for your model and see if we can figure out what you are trying to remove.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/user-manuals/590-Sub-Zero-REFRIGERATOR-manual

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yeah, that's useless. What I'm trying to figure out is the best way to see if the control (the wheel in the fridge where you set the coolness level) is telling the system to run, or is maybe the defrost timer somehow involved...something like that. The unit doesn't seem to be calling for the fridge compressor to even start.I wanted to start with getting to the contacts of the control to see if they are engaging.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you know, I'm a trained electronics tech, and air conditioner tech...so thought working the fridge would be fairly simple.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not sure what the coil readings are normally on the compressor, but they are neither open, nor seem to be shorted...though that's always a bit harder to tell on a small compressor.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have near zero volts at the start relay.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Condenser fan and freezer compressor are running just fine.

Ok give me just a few mins while I look into this.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Never mind...I got it from here. Thanks anyway.