Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Can someone please help me assess why my ice machine isn't

Customer Question
producing ice? It's in the...
Can someone please help me assess why my ice machine isn't producing ice? It's in the rollout-freezer of a Frigidaire Gallery fridge. Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It goes without saying I need to know how to--and be able to--successfully fix it during this process!
9/5/2016
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one who will try to assist you today if I can. Do you happen to have the model number of your Frigidaire fridge so I can look up the common causes and manual for your particular fridge.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi there,
We aren't home right now. I will locate this information tomorrow if that's ok by you. Thanks o much and have a nice end to the holiday weekend.
Kim

That is perfectly fine I will get back to you when you give me that information. Enjoy your weekend as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the manual here but it's not saying a model #.

Ok I was able to see your model number from the picture inside. Thank you

Cause 1 Freezer Temperature is Above 10 Degrees F (-12C)

If the freezer temperature is above 10 degrees Fahrenheit (-12C), the ice maker will not produce ice cubes efficiently. The freezer temperature should be set between 0 and 5 degrees Fahrenheit (-18 to -15C) for the ice maker to work properly. If the freezer temperature is too high, ensure that the condenser coils are clear of debris and the condenser fan is working properly. In addition, check to see if frost has accumulated on the evaporator coils. If the evaporator coils are frosted over, part of the defrost system has likely failed.

Cause 2 Water Inlet Valve

The water inlet valve is an electrically-controlled valve that opens to supply water to the dispenser and ice maker. If the water inlet valve is defective, or if it has insufficient pressure, it won’t allow water to flow through. As a result, the ice maker won’t make ice. The valve requires at least 20 psi to function properly. Make sure that the water pressure to the valve is at least 20 psi. If the water pressure is sufficient, use a multimeter to check for power to the water inlet valve. If the water inlet valve has sufficient pressure and is getting power, but the ice maker won’t fill with water to make ice, replace the water inlet valve.

Cause 3 Ice Maker Assembly

One component of the ice maker assembly might be defective. Since many of the ice maker components are not sold separately, you may need to purchase and replace the entire ice maker assembly. Before replacing the ice maker assembly, check the water inlet valve, water line, and fan. If none of these parts are at fault, and the freezer temperature is at least 15 degrees Fahrenheit, replace the ice maker assembly.

Cause 5 Low Water Pressure from House Supply

The home may have insufficient water pressure. The water inlet valve supplies water to the ice and water dispenser. The water inlet valve requires a minimum of 20 psi to function properly. Check the water flow and test the pressure to determine if it is at least 20 psi.

Cause 6 Water Filter

A clogged water filter can restrict the flow of water to the dispenser and prevent the ice maker from working properly. The water filter should be replaced about every six months to maintain proper water flow and ensure water quality.

Once we figure out which one the problem is I can find diagrams or videos on how to replace them and where to order the part from.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Omg. I can do some of this but most I'd have zero idea how to check. As an FYI I switched the email on my account to my husbands but that change may not happen ASAP.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also- read a lot of this in the manual a while back. Was too complicated then too!

Ok well personally if it was me and I was there the first things I would check would be the easiest things. so for instance water filter. It should actually be replaced every six months. It looks like this and is actually on sale.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Frigidaire-Refrigerator-Water-Filter/ULTRAWF/1534529?modelNumber=FGHN2866PF1&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b2d1436466

Also have you checked the the temp. in the freezer?

The next most common thing that goes wrong with these units is the water valve

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Frigidaire-Refrigerator-Water-Inlet-Valve/242252702/2692163?modelNumber=FGHN2866PF1&fromRepairHelp=True&ss=a4b2d1436466

Typically when we see this issue those two things are always the ones needing replaced. If I was going to try and replace one of them I would start with water inlet valve because they go bad the most.

If you find this information helpful please rate with 5 stars at the top. If you have any follow up questions at any time you can follow up with me even after rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My husband will talk a look at your last couple comments soon as he can. We r both slammed with work etc. Appreciate the help so far.

That is totally fine. I will be here when you are able to check in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Travis,We are going to order the new filter but we have changed it so don't think that's the problem. If it's the valve or anything else you mentioned that is the issue, we are going to have to hire a professional. We don't feel comfortable trying to fix the valve ourselves and don't have the tools to check for pressure et al. Probably should have hired a person to physically assess and fix in the first place. I do appreciate you trying to help but this isn't seeming like an easy Fix for us. If we order the filter and the ice maker starts working I will certainly be honest and let you know!

Thank you very much for letting me know. I appreciate that. I hope my information was helpful at least. In the event you are satisfied with the information you received from me a 5 star rating would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to your update. Rating does not stop you from following up with me at a later date either. I hope this is fixed quickly for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am happy to give you a 5-star rating. W/ regard to the cost though, how does that work? I know I did the $5 good faith charge but did I already get charged the other fee without my problem being fixed? I'm new to this website.

I can send in a note to adjust the money on your account to what you wish it to be. Someone will reach out to you from customer service. Thank you and enjoy the rest of your night.

I just wanted to check in with you and see if you have been able to resolve the problem yet?

Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician