Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Maytag refrigerator m1txegmyw01 Fresh food area does not get

Customer Question

Maytag refrigerator m1txegmyw01
Fresh food area does not get above 62 degrees on any setting. Freezer somethings defrost foods. Took cover off in freezer and found fan getting stuck on ice. Help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Is ice built up on the entire coil by that fan in the freezer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can't see coils
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Back behind that panel in the freezer....

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sent you a photo of what I see. Does that help. Or do I need to take off the whole back panel in the freezer?
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Ah, yes, perfect! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

There is a component in the defrost circuit that has failed. Back behind that cover, the evaporator coil is completely frozen up and it is blocking the air flow. So, you will need to either remove that panel and thaw the coil with a hair dryer or leave the doors open and the refrigerator unplugged for 24 hours. Once it is thawed, it will start cooling again. It is likely that the defrost thermostat is faulty but if you have a meter, we can test it!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok coils are frozen I am defrosting with hair dryer. I do have a 7 function multi-meter
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Was that fan running or did you have to manually turn it? That frost was not as bad as it looked in the first picture.