Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I just recently had a small fire in my microwave. I caught

Customer Question

I just recently had a small fire in my microwave. I caught it soon enough before it got worse. Although it left some residue in the microwave. I noticed that it started to leak a brown liquid through the holes in the microwave near the back side. It has me concerned about what that liquid could be and if it is dangerous. First time it had happened to me. Was wondering if there was anything I could do about it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 10 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

You would have to take the unit all apart and try to clean it out, that is likely just old grease build up and nothing with the unit at all as there is nothing that would leak into the unit like that other than old food and grease build up from the fire.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How much does that cost to have done? Is there something you can do at home yourself to clean it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My appliance is practically brand new. I had it for 13 months.

You can take the unit all apart to clean it, it is a job and a technical one. You may want to call a tech out to check it out as microwaves store high voltage so you need to know what you are doing when taking it apart.