John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I've repaired my Maytag dryer (model MGDB850YW1) with help

Customer Question

I've repaired my Maytag dryer (model MGDB850YW1) with help from Tyler Z. Now I'm having trouble getting the dryer belt back on. I've viewed the U-tube video, but can't get the belt to reach around both pulleys, even with a cheater bar.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Are you trying to install the small blower belt or the drive belt for the drum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drive belt.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Facing from the front of the dryer, the belt will go on the left side of the idler, under the idler and then over the motor shaft. Is that how you are doing it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With both sides of the belt going under the idler pulley (coming from around the drum) and going to the motor shaft. I can't get the belt to reach around the motor pulley.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The front panel is installed and the drum is sitting on the rollers, front and back. The drum turns freely. The drum belt is not twisted or caught on anything.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Did you replace the belt and, if so, did you get the correct one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it's the same belt. I just replaced one of the coils.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It has to be routed incorrectly. Can you post a picture of how you are routing it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where should I send it? It may take me awhile, I'm computer/I-phone challenged!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You can use the ADD FILE button to upload it here or send to***@******.***.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly,
Hopefully you get the picture.-Don
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That looks correct. Is the belt twisted or not in the correct place on the drum? Grooved side of the belt against the drum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The belt is not twisted and sitting over the marks where it was and the grooved side is down.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

So what happens when you turn the drum by hand now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the belt around the pulleys and sitting in the "indented" part of the drum (next to the felt), when I turn the drum the belt comes off of one of the pulleys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it would work If I have the belt as described above, then have someone else keep the belt on the pulleys while I slowly rotate the drum and move the belt on the drum to where it belongs?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Turn the drum the other way, does it still come off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the belt in the "indent", yes in both directions. I need to go out for a couple of hours, will contact you when I get back.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back, Any new ideas?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Not really, I see no issue with how it is routed. I will place your question back to the list in case another may have an idea.