Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I accidently pushed the clean oven button. the door locked,

Customer Question
but the oven did not...
I accidently pushed the clean oven button. the door locked, but the oven did not heat up. It has been 4 hours..now just the blinking sign "door locked" is on. I pulled and the door opens but the latch that holds the door is not back inside like it should be. What do I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
9/1/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

If the oven door is locked and will not open and the oven is cold try the following things to get the door to open. Note the oven needs to be cold or the thermostat will not open it after a self clean cycle right away.

First try to start a new self clean for about 30 secs and cancel it, often that will trigger the door latch to restart and reopen. If that does not open the door you can cut power to the unit for a full minute and power it back up and see if the door will open. If that does not work on some units you can remove the back and the latch motor is there with a lock rod going to a small hook iby the door. Those style units you can remove the rod and move it manually to open the door. If you do not have that style unit you need to get something flexible like a stiff piece of plastic or metal and slide it in between the door and frame and slide it sideways to hit the latch hook and press it to the left or right and open the door that way manually. Most latch hooks you will slide the piece from right to left pressing the latch hook left to release it...90% are like that, the others are the opposite way depending on make and model.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Niether one worked. We can open the door but the latch is out. And the "door Closed" sign is still blinking.

OK you just need to press the door light switch in on the frame and it should cancel out...or hold the door light switch in so the light goes out and start then cancel a clean cycle the unit thinks the door is open and will not allow the latch to rotate..so you have to press that switch on the frame in while doing the self clean start then cancel

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician