Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My GE dryer stops mid cycle. Model number GTDX180ED5WW. I've

Customer Question

My GE dryer stops mid cycle. Model number GTDX180ED5WW. I've already tried the timer, what could be some other options?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Can you start it back up instantly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I acts as if it's not getting power.

Ok the issue is the high limit thermostat, part #507 at this link is likely tripping the unit off. Check the vent to the outside and make sure it is clear, if so replace that part and all should be good again.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a maintenance man at an apartment complex & I've had several start to do this. In some cases they start back up & some they don't.

That thermostat cuts power to the motor if the unit overheats and that thermostat is suppose to reset when cool, but sometimes may not. Check the venting that may be the whole issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As in the vent may be clogged causing the unit to overheat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In some cases it cools & others the limit switch goes bad?

Yes it can that thermostat may not reset and if it does not the motor will never come on correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is that limit switch located?

On the heater housing off to the right side when looking at the front of the unit. It is right on the edge of the housing there are 3 of them but you need to check the single one off to the right by itself

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What has to come off in order to get the heater housing so I'm able to see the 3 switches?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
typo* what has to come off in order to get to the heater housing so I'm able to see the 3 switches?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
U there?

You just have to remove the top

CLICK HERE