Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Can I replace a Model GM8155XJB-0 Whirlpool Microwave? Or

Customer Question

Can I replace a Model GM8155XJB-0 Whirlpool Microwave? Or can I repair my old one. We smelled something burning and now it makes a sound when it runs, but it does not heat. I haver a trim kit for it and it fits into my cabinet.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Built in 2003 in Korea and the exact model is GM8155
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it is something I can do.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is it dangerous to work on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

Well the unit can be fixed but the cost to fix will likely exceed a replacement and honestly for a 13 year old unit I would invest in a new one. The magnetron tube is likely bad and you may have a transformer issue. These units store high voltage and yes can be dangerous to work on so I would just get a new one.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!