Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GE side by side GSL25JFPEBS not getting cold enough on the

Customer Question

GE side by side GSL25JFPEBS not getting cold enough on the freezer side. It's about 20 degrees. Enough to make ice but won't freeze ice cream solid. It seems to run constantly.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 13 yrs old - GSL25JFPEBS
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, Hold on and I will tell you all I have done
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I did the following cleaned the coils in back and the fan and drain tube. I replaced the defrost heater and tested it and the sensor, both ok. It did go into defrost cycle but won't shut off. I then replaced the main board and the lower freezer thermistor and it went through the defrost cycle but still won't get really cold and runs constantly I have the other 2 thermistors and will swap them out, don't know what else to do
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

If you remove the rear panel from inside the freezer, what does the frost pattern on the aluminum evaporator coil look like?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have defrosted it twice now. The bottom third is frozen
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

How about the top, all clear, no frost?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just the bottom is frozen
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

The refrigerant level is low, there is a leak in the sealed refrigeration system. This repair will require specialized tools and training and will need to be professionally completed by a licensed refrigeration technician. It will run about $350 + parts to have it professionally repaired.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok. I was thinking that was the next step. It just doesn't have the guts it used too. Is it common to lose it but not all? Seems like it would be totally dead if it had a leak
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Yes, low pressure leaks are very common. It could also be an inefficient compressor but more likely a leak. Either repair is costly because of the time involved, it takes about 3-4 hours to do them properly.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok thanks. Might be better to look at a new unit.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

If more than about 8 years old, I would agree.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. Thank you so much!