Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

O'Keefe & Merritt (antique modEl 600 3 G) boiler won't

O'Keefe & Merritt (antique modEl...
O'Keefe & Merritt (antique modEl 600 3 G) boiler won't light... I have a source for the valve but how do I determine if it's the valve or the thermal coupler? ...
8/26/2016
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Place the end of the thermocouple in a small flame (like a lighter) and measure between the tip of the opposite end and the copper tube. It should produce about 15-20 DC millivolts. Does it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How to connect the thermal coupler from the valve. (Pic)

If it does not have a threaded nut, it is part of the valve assembly. That model is too old for me to get any information on but if you can post a picture of the valve I can see if it is replaceable.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found some info at http://antiquegasstoves.com ... I've got to prepare.. Catch up with you in a little while

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No picture yet but once I disconnect that end ... am i measuring for 15-20 millivolts basically from the inside to the outside of that end?

Yes, one lead on the very end, the other on the copper.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Super thanks. So out oF range means BAD thermocouple. .. right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would guess it wouldn't fail (out of range) high

It has to be warm, though. Are you heating the bulb with a lighter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will ... can I test water heater thermal couplers the same way?

Yes, they all produce a small amount of DC millivolts.

Kelly, Appliance Technician