Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have one of the first Wolf ranges ever made. It has a dual

Customer Question

I have one of the first Wolf ranges ever made. It has a dual oven configuration. The smaller oven, which is used the most has a hinge piece that is wearing out, and prevents the oven door from closing all the way. Tightening the eye screw attached to the hinge doesn't seem to help because the hinge bracket encounters a stop on the frame. I aim wondering if this can be replaced or welded to remove the wear.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Wolf is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I don't know the model number. There is a brass plaque on the left hand oven door, but any numbers on it are worn off. I found an instruction manual that resembles the range and it is for Challenger Ovens. I think it is more than 30 years old.
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: There is no electrical component to this oven. No error codes. The door doesn't shut all the way because the rocker arm that attaches to the door hinge bracket with an "S" hook can't be adjusted to pull the flat hinge component any further. The bracket has worn down.
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: The door doesn't shut all the way so heat leaks out and the oven cooks unevenly. I could send pictures.
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I have explained it all.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The details in my question include the fact that the oven has no electrical component. It is a gas range and it uses propane.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to be certain that it was gas or just had no electric control. I will need to ask questions to help you, please be patient. With no model number, it is going to require some on depth investigative work.....

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Now, as for my second part of that question above, how wide is this range, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The overall width of the range is 58.5 " did you get my photo of it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I did not get a photo but the width is all I need. On the earlier ranges, Wolf listed them by the width rather than the model so that will be helpful. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Does your range look like the one on the attached page?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to send photos of the problem and the range.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

So you have the one on the attached page. See part number 2, the LH hinge assembly.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That hinge is showing as still available at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is similar, however there is no glass in the door.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe my hinge is different because it doesn't have the long channel attached to it. I think mine is older.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get my pictures now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you getting my responses?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I lost my internet. I did get your pictures. If you open the door, you don't have that long curved arm on the door hinge?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

In that last picture, it looked like it did.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think my model predates the hing with the "U" channel attached to the curved arm. I only have the curved arm going into the door. It looks like the door is riveted together and I suspect the curved arm with the channel attached is an engineering improvement over what I have. Photo # 0566 shows the curved arm coming out of the door itself, without a channel.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, that is as far back as Wolf goes. I will have to contact them directly but in the past they have been less than responsive, just so you know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am wondering if there are resources that you know of for this kind of a problem.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Only Wolf, I just sent an email but will continue to see what I can find while I await a response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have been looking and I have found that the parts for Vulcan and wolf were listed as "Door Assemblies" - Not too promising, as that would cost me a lot of money. it doesn't seem like a later door would fit easily on my range. First of all, the door was for an 18" oven. I have found out that the retail part of Wolf was sold to Subzero, but Wolf Equipment Company remains a part of ITW Food Equipment Group. I found some part numbers for the door of a later Vulcan Stove, but wasn't in stock at Partstown.com.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Do you see any numbers on any of the parts on your range?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
VULCAN HART 762434-A, 18 DOOR ASSY COMP CHR
76435A SS
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Yikes, that is an expensive door. I am not able to find anything else using those numbers to cross with but will let you know what I hear from Wolf.