Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Er for code stops cooling

Customer Question

Er for code stops cooling
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has been happening for a long time, works for days weeks and sometimes months, after leaving unplugged for 24 hours. Error code says err ffThe main board was replaced 12 months ago. Constantly emptying big fridge contents to small refrig. Pita!
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

The er ff error on the lg units means that the computer is not recognizing the freezer fan working. It could be that the fan is bad or that the evaporator is iced up and the ice is blocking the fan from turning. The back panel of the freezer will have to be removed and the the evaporator inspected for ice build up, if there is no ice build up then the fan is bad and needs to be replaced.

Refrigerator Evaporator Fan

Part #: 4681JB1027H - click here

here is a video that shows how to remove the panel and access the fan - click here

*******************************************************************************

The only way I get credit for the time I spend helping you is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of your page 3 stars or higher. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not the fan motor. It still works, but intermittently. It works fo 12-24 hours, after unplugging for 5-10 mins. If unplugged for 24 hours, it works fine for weeks or months. There is no ice buildup. Could it be the compressor relay switch?

If the compressor is running so should the condenser and evaporator fan motor. The main board sends power out to the fans and compressor if the system deems the unit is too warm and should be cooling. If the compressor is running and the fan is not but the fan is good then the main board is the issue. However if you are saying the unit is not cycling properly and its shutting the entire system off then it could be the temperature sensors or the board. If the start relay was bad the compressor would never run and the unit would not work at all ever. Honestly I have never encountered that type of issue almost sounds like some sort or wiring problem somewhere. I will put this question back on the board so maybe another tech will have an idea about what is going on.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your refrigerator. The information that Joel gave you is correct. The error "Er FF" means that your unit doesn't think the freezer fan is working properly. Now whether or not the fan is running or not doesn't mean that the fan isn't the issue. The control board determines if the fan is running properly by how much power it's pulling. If the amp draw exceeds the limit of what the board is expecting (depending on what speed the control board is telling the fan to run), it will give you the error code. Now you can check to make sure there isn't ice build up around the fan and if there is then thaw it out with a hair dryer. Unplugging the refrigerator resets the error but the error will come back after a while when the fan gives a bad reading again. That is why the error goes away when you unplug the refrigerator, but until you either thaw out the frost around the fan (if there is any) or replace the fan motor then the issue will continue to come back.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?